Marriage Advocates

Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache.

Posted By: AntigoneRisen

Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache. - 07/01/11 03:55 AM

Many, if not most, problems with websites can be resolved by clearing your browser's cache. This is a relatively simple process, and must be done by the person who has the web browser.

Posted By: Squeaky Tree

Re: Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache. - 07/01/11 07:15 AM

I cleared my cache when the new site started running because i couldn't get access.

Is this s'posed to stop the 500 errors? I got one again this morning
Posted By: for to fade

Re: Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache. - 07/01/11 08:25 AM

more icon things, for the posts

a pig
fireworks
fog
cup of coffee
Posted By: NewEveryDay

Re: Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache. - 05/09/14 03:17 PM

Ar I'm dying here please help. My computer will not take me to site anymore as of this week. Beurre it was sporadic but w would come back. I can log in from work pc. I can log in from my phone but only if i turn off wifi. Maybe I go to the site so much it blocked my IP?
Posted By: poet

Re: Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache. - 05/09/14 04:39 PM

NED,

Please send an email to Mark and report this issue to him. He needs to know about it as well. Do you have his email address?

Re: Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache. - 05/09/14 04:50 PM

NED,

No, we do not block your IP.

Do you have a Windows computer?

~AR

Re: Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache. - 05/09/14 04:51 PM

I do AR. And this same issue has happened to me many times over the course of this past year.

Re: Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache. - 05/09/14 05:07 PM

I sent you an email asking whether or not you had a Windows machine and never received a reply. I sent instructions on using a Hosts file to bypass your DNS and always resolve marriageadvocates.com to our IP address via Mark. I don't know if you've done that yet or not, but that advice is all I can give. The issue is on either your computer or your ISP.

Re: Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache. - 05/09/14 05:11 PM

How to Edit Your Hosts File

How to edit your hosts file on Windows

How to edit your hosts file on Mac

You want to point marriageadvocates.com to 72.167.167.243. That means you need a line in your hosts file that says:

"72.167.167.243 marriageadvocates.com #MA DNS Override"

Re: Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache. - 05/09/14 05:38 PM

Sorry AR. I never received any such email from you. Maybe it didn't go through. could you please send it again?

Thanks so much.

Re: Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache. - 05/09/14 06:00 PM

eek That's weird, as I sent it from the admin account, it didn't bounce, and you've successfully received emails from our admin account before. confused

Anyway, it's ok. The email just asked you about your OS, so I could give you instructions on bypassing your DNS (domain name server) and always map MA's domain name to our IP address. Those instructions for Windows machines are now posted publicly (see above "How to Edit Your Hosts File").

Re: Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache. - 05/09/14 06:34 PM

Ar like poet I've had the issue sporadically for a long time. My home pc is a Mac but it sounds like once I'm there i can paste this into a shortcut. Thanks so much! I thought to email but figured maybe others have ran into this too so posted here instead

Re: Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache. - 05/09/14 07:43 PM

You are the third person to have this issue since MA began. I think asking publicly is a good idea, because the answer is out here to be referenced.
Posted By: Jayne241

Re: Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache. - 05/09/14 07:44 PM

I have a Mac, and what I do is just go to my history and select the last MA page I was on (usually Active Topics). Ned, do you do that, or use a bookmark?

I had a very temporary blip yesterday, not even a minute long, when refreshing a page.

Re: Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache. - 05/09/14 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: NewEveryDay
Ar like poet I've had the issue sporadically for a long time. My home pc is a Mac but it sounds like once I'm there i can paste this into a shortcut. Thanks so much! I thought to email but figured maybe others have ran into this too so posted here instead

Here are the instructions for a Mac:

How to edit your hosts file on Mac

Re: Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache. - 05/09/14 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Jayne241
... what I do is just go to my history and select the last MA page I was on (usually Active Topics). Ned, do you do that, or use a bookmark?

This is in response to the above comment. This was suggested to me a very long time ago, and I have already tried it many times. It does not work in this particular situation. What NED and I have, is a different issue altogether.

AR. I see your post above. I just got home and will be out of commission for the time being. When I get back, I will try it though. Also, I may actually remember getting that email -- at the time, I thought it was from Mark. And since he and I were already talking on another email thread, I ignored it. Problem solved -- at least that one. smile
Posted By: Jayne241

Re: Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache. - 05/09/14 09:30 PM

Ok, my bad. Sorry.

Re: Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache. - 05/09/14 10:28 PM

Oy vey. So I typed in the IP, directly, didn't work.
I added the host name thing according to the directions. I was reading and typing it off my phone, which like I said only got the site when I turned wifi off on the phone.
I reset the cache from the navigator thing like it said. Didn't work.
I looked in my history like Jayne suggested, but I had cleared it this morning troubleshooting this.

I googled "safari can't find server" and I got this

https://discussions.apple.com/message/25093236#25093236

The part that worked for me was

Power off the router. Wait awhile. Power it back on. Wait until all the lights are lit up properly.

Poet could it be your router too?

Re: Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache. - 05/10/14 12:38 AM

I don't know what a router is. Is that the same as the thing that gets me on the internet, the modem?
Posted By: Rich57

Re: Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache. - 05/10/14 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: poet
I don't know what a router is. Is that the same as the thing that gets me on the internet, the modem?
Yes it is hooked up after the modem between the computer.

Re: Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache. - 05/10/14 03:34 AM

Poet, at my house, it's like Rich described:

Line from the wall > modem > router > computer

I am shocked because I know when you have no internet, to power off the modem, then the router, then back on the modem, then the router. But since this was this site alone with an error, I didn't follow protocol. I had no idea this could be such a simple fix!

Re: Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache. - 05/10/14 05:29 AM

Huh?

You have me confused, NED/Rich...

I do not have anything hooked up between my modem and the wall, that I know of. lol

Re: Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache. - 05/10/14 06:19 AM

Quote:
I do not have anything hooked up between my modem and the wall

Neither do I. Do you have a line from the modem? Where does that go?
Posted By: Rich57

Re: Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache. - 05/10/14 11:00 AM

Originally Posted By: poet
Huh?

You have me confused, NED/Rich...

I do not have anything hooked up between my modem and the wall, that I know of. lol

Maybe your modem and router are all in one box.

Is this what you have by any chance?

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/support/tv/article.cox?articleId=1411d8a0-7ef7-11df-5590-000000000000

Re: Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache. - 05/10/14 03:45 PM

Yes, Rich.....That is what I have. lol. Although mine looks a slight bit different than those shown. I have one from another company. And, since my "modem/router" seems to be working just fine for now, I will not be shutting it off and back on until this issue arises again. Thanks for all your input. You too, NED. I was wondering why you all were talking about another activator.

Re: Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache. - 05/16/14 12:07 PM

Poet, I'm happy yours is working now smile

AR, the same thing happened again. I reset the router again and now I'm back in. But I don't understand, why is MA the only site that stops working for me?

Re: Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache. - 05/16/14 01:45 PM

Hi NED. We don't know that MA is the only site that stops working for you. I doubt you try them all. smile We know it is the one that you notice.

You might try flushing your DNS.

Re: Tech Issues Step 1: Clear your cache. - 05/16/14 02:12 PM

Lol AR you know me so well! I have not tried them all. And if other sites don't work it doesn't bother me so much. But trying to type here from the phone because the computer doesn't work, oy vey what a mess!

Thanks for the link, I had seen the first part before in the other links and did that, but not the second. Maybe my problems will be gone for good smile

dscacheutil -flushcache to flush the DNS, and then sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder to reload the DNS.
© 2019 Marriage Advocates