Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 4 guests, and 33 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
 Trending Topics(Posts)
1.How to deconstruct a marriage.0
2.I am Sick, I am Sad, and I am needing some support.0
3.SIHW is back and Dealing with issues....0
4.looking for some support0
5.Social Networking Sites and Infidelity0
6.Signs of Infidelity0
7.The Difference Between Cheating and Infidelity?0
8.Not really sure how to survive0
9.The Five Big Lies That Keep You From Changing0
10.Pregnant and getting put out of the house by my husband0
*By replies in last 2 weeks.
In The Media(Posts)
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’3
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Does anyone remember this story?3
Validation to find-win-win slutions2
Things men want3
These Are The Signs You're Dating A Narcissist3
Girlfriend's 'controlling' list of 22 rules for boyfriend goes viral: 'She sounds crazy'9
What Divorced Men Wish They Had Done Differently In Their Marriages7
Alienation of Affection / Criminal Conversation9
Would you pay your ex a 'break-up fee'? - BBC3
more >>
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Healing vs. Curing #96559
04/20/11 11:38 PM
04/20/11 11:38 PM
Looking4 Offline OP
Looking4  Offline OP
We talk a lot here on MA about the importance of healing when a marriage has been broken. Prompted by something I read recently, I wonder if some take the suggestion to heal to instead mean to cure. I wonder if people mistakenly think healing and curing are interchangeable.

From dictionary.com:
Cure: verb (used with object)
1.) to restore to health.
2.) to relieve or rid of something detrimental, as an illness or a bad habit.

Heal: verb (used with object)
1.) to make healthy, whole, or sound; restore to health; free from ailment.
2.) to bring to an end or conclusion, as conflicts between people or groups, usually with the strong implication of restoring former amity; settle; reconcile

There is a difference between the two actions and I think it's possible that some may continue to feel their troubled marriage is stuck because they are looking for a cure when a cure isn't possible nor is it what they need.

I searched online the keywords "healing vs. curing" and found several articles. They most often had to do with the medical field but I think in much of what I found, you can replace terms like "body" and "mind" with the words "marriage" and "relationship" and exchange "disease" and "illness" with "disconnectedness", "withdrawn" or "infidelity".

In this article "Healing vs Curing: They're Not The Same" by Carol Ritberger , she writes:

Curing and healing are not the same—not in their approach, what they require of the patient, or their results. Unfortunately, even with all of the advances, medicine is still measuring itself on curing, meaning restoring the body back to the state it was in before it became ill. It's not looking at healing, getting the body back to better than it was before it became ill, because all the causes of the illness have been addressed.
CURING
The focus of curing is to address the needs of the physical body and to relieve it of any discomfort, aches and pains, symptoms, crises, and illness. It has little to do with treating the hidden contributors responsible for the formation of these effects. Instead, curing views good health as the absence of symptoms and the elimination of whatever is causing the body to not function properly, even if that means removing a part of the body. This approach means compensation and removal. For example, if a person is experiencing muscle cramps, the treatment is relaxants; if pain is present, then painkillers are prescribed... While this method certainly makes it easier for us to live physically, it doesn't address the origin of the problem, only the effects. As a result, the perpetrators are still there and are continuing to gain strength, thus weakening the body's ability to sustain good health. Curing looks at the how and what of illness.

HEALING
Healing, on the other hand, begins with the soul and seeks to identify, transform, and remove any obstacles preventing it, the mind, and the body from working together in a unified manner. The objective is to make us better than we were before we became ill and to re-establish "wholeness" so that we can experience good health. It involves creating a harmonious internal space so we can explore the hidden contributors behind illness at a deeper level. We get in touch with who we are and are allowed to see just how powerful we can be if we free ourselves from the limitations of our conditioning. Healing views health as being physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually in balance.

Healing deals with the source of illness and requires us to dig into our psychological coffers so we can uncover unhealthy thoughts, emotions, attitudes, beliefs, and core themes responsible for the formation of illness. It's about reinventing our self-perception and restructuring our lifestyle so that it's conducive to good health. We remove the sources responsible for the disconnection between the soul, mind, and body. Healing begins with awareness and ends with change. It asks us to release the emotional hurts buried deep inside and let go of the identities we've created around those hurts. The goal of healing isn't fixing, it's creating—creating a healthy self-perception, healthy thoughts, and healthy relationships.

In this article "Healing vs. Curing" by Robert Hirschfield, Hirschfield references an interview he conducted with Dr. Paul Epstein:

Says Epstein, "They ask, "I have pain, can you fix me?' "I have chronic fatigue syndrome, what can I do?' "I have fibromyalgia, what's your answer for me?' The question I ask is: "Is there a truth of your life that's been bypassed?'"

Epstein says he wants to cure, but not as much as he wants to heal. The difference lies in the place of intention. "In curing, we are trying to get somewhere, we are looking for answers. In curing, our efforts are specifically designed to make something happen. In healing, we live questions instead of answers. We hang out in the unknown. We trust the emergence of whatever will be. We trust the insight will come. The challenge in medicine is not the choice between one and the other. We need both.

"The lesson I learned is never to be afraid to take people into the heart of their pain, because at the heart of their pain is the healing, and at the heart of the healing is the pain and the joy."

And finally in this article "Healing vs Curing" by Dr. C. Patricia Fater, MD, she states:

Healing is the restoration of wholeness. This process is more meta physical than physical. We have all known people who have been cured of a disease, yet continue to be affected by it in every aspect of life, every day. This person may be cured, but may not be healed, if the disease process persists in negatively impacting life and relationships. Conversely, a person may be dying, unable to be cured, and in that process may have found a new level of peace, an honest and loving way to relate to him or herself and those around that may represent a spiritual or emotional healing that had been previously lacking.

I think when one is hurt or broken, they first go in search of a cure. They want the pain to stop and to be able to forget about what happened put it far out of their mind. I think this applies to broken bodies, broken souls, and broken relationships.

In the case of marriages, just as in the case of ourselves, healing is what brings about true "restoration of wholeness" and balance. It may be harder to do and take longer to accomplish, requiring the more painful process of addressing and working through things instead of forgetting them. But the result is likely to be a marriage that is better than even before it was damaged.

If you want to improve or recover your marriage, don't look for a cure. Try instead to heal.

Last edited by Looking4; 04/21/11 12:43 AM.

Married 19 years
Two children - DS12 & DD10
Re: Healing vs. Curing [Re: Looking4] #96592
04/21/11 01:18 AM
04/21/11 01:18 AM
SW Chicago 'burbs
Mark1952 Offline
Board of Directors
Mark1952  Offline
Board of Directors
SW Chicago 'burbs

mark1952.ma@gmail.com

I Was Thinking...

The secret to having a good marriage is to understand that marriage must be total, it must be permanent, and it must be equal.-- Frank Pittman
Re: Healing vs. Curing [Re: Mark1952] #96687
04/21/11 08:20 AM
04/21/11 08:20 AM
New Zealand
Lil Offline

Lil  Offline

New Zealand
Oooh thats good. Notable post!

AKA Lildoggie

Just found out about your spouses affair?
Infidelity Guide For The Betrayed Spouse

Re: Healing vs. Curing [Re: Lil] #96699
04/21/11 10:27 AM
04/21/11 10:27 AM
M
MariaK Offline
MariaK  Offline
M
Ditto

Recovering from infidelity

Re: Healing vs. Curing [Re: MariaK] #96860
04/21/11 08:04 PM
04/21/11 08:04 PM
G
girlfromipanema Offline
girlfromipanema  Offline
G
Definitely a notable post. Very, very good stuff. Thanks, L4.

Re: Healing vs. Curing [Re: girlfromipanema] #97060
04/22/11 01:01 PM
04/22/11 01:01 PM
Indianapolis
hoosiermama Offline
hoosiermama  Offline
Indianapolis
that is excellent. being a "healer," I was aware of the differences between healing and curing, but I've never heard it put quite this way. I will use this in my explanations to my clients.

Last edited by hoosiermama; 04/22/11 01:01 PM. Reason: spelling!
Re: Healing vs. Curing [Re: hoosiermama] #97306
04/23/11 06:55 AM
04/23/11 06:55 AM
Vittoria Offline
Vittoria  Offline
Definitely an awesome find and good insight on your part. I like it. smile

26 yrs. married
There's nothing more powerful than a woman with an open heart ......
Re: Healing vs. Curing [Re: Vittoria] #214446
03/11/12 07:36 AM
03/11/12 07:36 AM
The Dark Side of the Moon
AntigoneRisen Offline
Board of Directors
AntigoneRisen  Offline
Board of Directors
The Dark Side of the Moon
This guide has been published to the main site as an article.

Critical Thinking: The Other National Deficit

"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
Re: Healing vs. Curing [Re: AntigoneRisen] #215244
03/14/12 06:28 PM
03/14/12 06:28 PM
A
Aurora Offline
Aurora  Offline
A
Thank you for posting this has been put on the main site, it bumped this up so I was able to find the article. It has been very helpful and insightful for me as I am working through a physical illness with my husband.

Moderated by  Miranda 

Newest Members
Love_Smacked, starfire, JoyfulMimi, bruers, shattered72
2048 Registered Users
Latest Topics(Posts)
Hearts Blessing4
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’3
63 Marriage Facts1
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Updates Divorce Stats4
no more rainbow members?9
BR - The Art of War - Sun Tzu5
Questions & Answers About Marriage---responses from 7-10 year old kids4
seeing new members on mobile version5
Return of the Goddess31
Community Information
2048Members
1Penalty Box
6Suspended