Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 4 guests, and 31 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
 Trending Topics(Posts)
1.Ask Amy's very bad advice on affairs1
2.The Joke Thread1
3.Financial counselor says communication is key when mixing money and marriage - Grand Forks Herald0
4.Daughter says father made ominous threats if his wife sought a divorce - Portland Press Herald0
5.A Straight Spouse Of A Gay Husband Speaks Out0
6.Rise Above Past Relationship Failures - Psychology Today0
7.Toxic Relationship dynamics0
8.Women Who Don't Orgasm - Psychology Today0
9.Highspire man tried to kill wife in car crash after marriage counseling session went south, police say0
10.6 Ways to Recreate, Not Just Salvage, Your Relationship - Psychology Today0
*By replies in last 2 weeks.
In The Media(Posts)
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’3
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Does anyone remember this story?3
Validation to find-win-win slutions2
Things men want4
These Are The Signs You're Dating A Narcissist3
Girlfriend's 'controlling' list of 22 rules for boyfriend goes viral: 'She sounds crazy'9
What Divorced Men Wish They Had Done Differently In Their Marriages7
Alienation of Affection / Criminal Conversation9
Would you pay your ex a 'break-up fee'? - BBC3
more >>
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Swap in baseball loyalties forced by marriage - Poughkeepsie Journal #362718
09/14/14 12:22 PM
09/14/14 12:22 PM
The Dark Side of the Moon
AntigoneRisen Offline OP
Board of Directors
AntigoneRisen  Offline OP
Board of Directors
Quote:
Almost 34 years ago, my world changed.

I got married, which was huge, but another game-changer occurred as well. The New York Yankees lost me as a fan; the New York Mets gained me as a fan.

The hubby was a Long-Island born, true-royal-blue Mets fan, so even this Jersey girl didn't stand much of a chance rooting for "the enemy" as he called the Bronx Bombers.

I realized right away that Mets fans hate Yankees fans more than the other way around, which makes sense. It's always easier to hate the King of the Prom.

When he proposed, the only second thought he probably had was about my Jersey-biased baseball preference. When I indicated I might be persuaded to root for the Mets, it cinched the deal...

Swap in baseball loyalties forced by marriage

Critical Thinking: The Other National Deficit

"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
Re: Swap in baseball loyalties forced by marriage - Poughkeepsie Journal [Re: AntigoneRisen] #362721
09/14/14 04:07 PM
09/14/14 04:07 PM
Ace Offline
Advocate
Ace  Offline
Advocate
Thanks for posting this AR. I actually thought of a similar article for the CZ to see if anyone else would be interested in discussing "SPORTS SPOUSES: How passions for sports affects your marriage."

This article could be a definite example.

When my H and I first met in a college class, we had an assignment to write about what we envisioned for retirement. He said he wanted to live in Florida because then he could play year-round baseball. I thought, no way I'll ever live in Florida---I hate the annual threats of hurricanes---so I wrote him off as a potential husband.

Things and priorities change, however...now we go to Florida every year after the hurricane season...

Click to reveal..
...for "golden-guys/gals" World Series baseball. In fact, our first 10 day trip was a major factor in saving our M after his A when I gave up and issued a 10-day ultimatum.

"Sports and Spouses"

Anyone else think this might be an intriguing topic to explore?

We're overcoming decades of marital dysfunction including abuse, passive aggression, gas-lighting & infidelity (both of us).

Our Weird and Ongoing Story
Re: Swap in baseball loyalties forced by marriage - Poughkeepsie Journal [Re: Ace] #362739
09/14/14 09:28 PM
09/14/14 09:28 PM
AntigoneRisen Offline OP
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
I think many people have an interest in this. I know so many Duke/UNC pairings, for instance. smile

"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
Re: Swap in baseball loyalties forced by marriage - Poughkeepsie Journal [Re: AntigoneRisen] #362745
09/14/14 09:50 PM
09/14/14 09:50 PM
Ace Offline
Advocate
Ace  Offline
Advocate
Originally Posted By: AntigoneRisen
I think many people have an interest in this. I know so many Duke/UNC pairings, for instance. smile

Really!? I'll have to do some more research on the topic. Look for it in the CZ soon (I hope).

Thanks,
Ace

We're overcoming decades of marital dysfunction including abuse, passive aggression, gas-lighting & infidelity (both of us).

Re: Swap in baseball loyalties forced by marriage - Poughkeepsie Journal [Re: Ace] #362747
09/14/14 10:13 PM
09/14/14 10:13 PM
AntigoneRisen Offline OP
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
Oh, yes. These are quite common here.

Re: Swap in baseball loyalties forced by marriage - Poughkeepsie Journal [Re: AntigoneRisen] #362762
09/15/14 12:53 PM
09/15/14 12:53 PM
midwest
Miranda Offline
Global Moderator
Miranda  Offline
Global Moderator
midwest
I can't imagine doing what that article describes AR, and I don't even care much about sports at all! But the only sports I ever watched growing up was watching Yankee's games with my granddad, who I adored, and who adored me. We never had sports on in my house, except for an occasional car race for my dad. But granddad watched the Yankees games all summer when I visited them, and I spent a lot of summers there. I was the first and for 9 years the only grandchild. I was his "little pal" and though granddad lived in Jersey, he was Bronx born and bred.

I'd as soon give up my Yankees as cut off one of my own fingers. It is too much of my history, and too much of a treasured part of my past. I live in the Midwest now, and rarely catch a game, but I keep up with where my beloved Yanks are in the running. And I cheer for them when I can. You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take the Jersey out of the girl!

When we open to this moment and don't judge it or try to change it, even when we're suffering and wish it were otherwise, we tap into the spaciousness of mind that allows us to move forward skillfully, with discernment and joy. -- Sharon Salzberg
Re: Swap in baseball loyalties forced by marriage - Poughkeepsie Journal [Re: AntigoneRisen] #362774
09/15/14 02:08 PM
09/15/14 02:08 PM
Ace Offline
Advocate
Ace  Offline
Advocate
Originally Posted By: AntigoneRisen
Oh, yes. These are quite common here.

"House-Divided License Plates" ---- interesting. I'll try to start that CZ thread tonight so we can collect these types of options for passionate sports spouses there.

Thanks,
Ace

Re: Swap in baseball loyalties forced by marriage - Poughkeepsie Journal [Re: Ace] #362820
09/16/14 03:11 AM
09/16/14 03:11 AM
Ace Offline
Advocate
Ace  Offline
Advocate
Originally Posted By: Ace
I'll try to start that CZ thread tonight so we can collect these types of options for passionate sports spouses there.

Thanks,
Ace

I re-started a CZ thread but changed the sub-title to "SPORTS SPOUSES: Does your spouse's sports passion affect your marriage?"

This discussion may lead to another 'sports & marriage' article with a little different perspective.

Moderated by  Fiddler 

Newest Members
Love_Smacked, starfire, JoyfulMimi, bruers, shattered72
2048 Registered Users
Latest Topics(Posts)
Hearts Blessing5
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’3
63 Marriage Facts1
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Updates Divorce Stats4
no more rainbow members?9
BR - The Art of War - Sun Tzu5
Questions & Answers About Marriage---responses from 7-10 year old kids4
seeing new members on mobile version5
Return of the Goddess31
Community Information
2048Members
1Penalty Box
6Suspended