Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 3 guests, and 34 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
 Trending Topics(Posts)
1.How to deconstruct a marriage.0
2.I am Sick, I am Sad, and I am needing some support.0
3.SIHW is back and Dealing with issues....0
4.looking for some support0
5.Social Networking Sites and Infidelity0
6.Signs of Infidelity0
7.The Difference Between Cheating and Infidelity?0
8.Not really sure how to survive0
9.The Five Big Lies That Keep You From Changing0
10.Pregnant and getting put out of the house by my husband0
*By replies in last 2 weeks.
In The Media(Posts)
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’3
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Does anyone remember this story?3
Validation to find-win-win slutions2
Things men want3
These Are The Signs You're Dating A Narcissist3
Girlfriend's 'controlling' list of 22 rules for boyfriend goes viral: 'She sounds crazy'9
What Divorced Men Wish They Had Done Differently In Their Marriages7
Alienation of Affection / Criminal Conversation9
Would you pay your ex a 'break-up fee'? - BBC3
more >>
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Have to do this in real life for first time [Re: holdingontoit] #340357
03/17/14 06:00 PM
03/17/14 06:00 PM
T
TC_Manhattan Offline
TC_Manhattan  Offline
T
Bit by bit you are emerging from your cocoon, Hold!

Re: Have to do this in real life for first time [Re: TC_Manhattan] #340371
03/17/14 06:33 PM
03/17/14 06:33 PM
holdingontoit Offline OP
Global Moderator
holdingontoit  Offline OP
Global Moderator
You never know.

I am thinking of leaving the synagogue because I don't know anyone there after 10 years of membership and 5 years of being on the BoD. I have never once had a conversation or a meal or a drink with anyone from the BoD outside of a Board meeting. All my fault for not being more pro-active, but still hard to justify the time and expense if I feel like an outsider there. I know this is the wrong thing to do: to close down my tiny circle of social engagement even smaller. To rely on Mrs. Hold even more for 100% of my interpersonal relations. But my anxiety level is so high I want to flee. Run away and hide. I know it is inside my own head but I feel so ugly and worthless among people who have seen me sitting all alone in my same spot for years. And I know none of them. One night I sat in a different spot and the rabbi even commented out loud "what are you doing over there?" I am sure none of them really think I am ugly or a jerk but I feel so alone. Going is almost worse than staying home. And it is all in my head. And I don't know how to overcome it.

You may think the baby steps will help over time. I hope so. I can easily see myself running away before it makes any difference. I am expert at self-sabotage.

Oh, and the lunch never happened. I got called into a work meeting Friday and rescheduled for today, and today my co-worker is not here. Maybe we can do lunch Thursday.

Solutions? There are none. There are decisions.
Re: Have to do this in real life for first time [Re: holdingontoit] #340372
03/17/14 06:42 PM
03/17/14 06:42 PM
TX
CajunRose Offline
CajunRose  Offline
TX
Is there another synagogue to go to?

I have been to many churches and felt invisible if not outright unwelcome.

And I have been to some where, as a first-time visitor, I was greeted warmly and made to feel part of a community.

Take a leap and "visit" other synagogues - maybe you will find one that is a better fit for who you are today.

Current spouse: Night. D10, D9, S7

About me

You can't direct the wind, but you can adjust your sails.

http://www.divorcedmomfinances.com
Re: Have to do this in real life for first time [Re: CajunRose] #340390
03/17/14 08:01 PM
holdingontoit Offline OP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Yes, I am thinking of trying another. There are a couple of candidates locally. I visit others and see what happens.

Re: Have to do this in real life for first time [Re: CajunRose] #340391
T
TC_Manhattan Offline
TC_Manhattan  Offline
T
Originally Posted By: CajunRose
Is there another synagogue to go to?

I have been to many churches and felt invisible if not outright unwelcome.

And I have been to some where, as a first-time visitor, I was greeted warmly and made to feel part of a community.

Take a leap and "visit" other synagogues - maybe you will find one that is a better fit for who you are today.

This ^^^^ is what I was thinking as well. Since you don't feel a connection after all that time and involvement, you could easily walk away and start over in a different congregation. Perhaps someplace a bit smaller? Visit a few (if you have that option in your area) and try them on for size, then make the leap.

Maybe making those baby steps would come easier with a fresh set of faces.
Here you are fighting against their old impressions of you.
Just a thought.

Hey Hold, you really are coming out of your shell. Keep at it!

Re: Have to do this in real life for first time [Re: TC_Manhattan] #340502
03/18/14 02:36 PM
03/18/14 02:36 PM
poet Offline
poet  Offline
Hold,

True Story: I just left my church in February, not for the same reasons as you, but actually quite different. You just gave me the courage to *maybe* post about it, but I'll do it on my own thread so I don't t/j yours.

Last edited by poet; 03/18/14 03:00 PM.

I thank God for all the times he saved my life, for putting all the people in my path who helped save it, and all the other people I met along the way.
Re: Have to do this in real life for first time [Re: poet] #340503
03/18/14 02:43 PM
03/18/14 02:43 PM
S
SmilingWife Offline
Global Moderator
SmilingWife  Offline
Global Moderator
S
Hold does Mrs. Hold not practice your faith with you?

Re: Have to do this in real life for first time [Re: SmilingWife] #340572
03/18/14 06:02 PM
03/18/14 06:02 PM
holdingontoit Offline OP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Poet: Thanks for sharing. How do you like the new church?

SW: When the kids were small, she picked them up from religious school 2 or 3 times a week. She attended events for parents to show her support. She lit candles on Friday night at home. She did what she felt she needed to do to give the kids a grounding in their background.

Now that the kids are grown, she wants nothing to do with religion. I tell her I am going to services. She tells me to have a nice time. During the High Holidays, I used to go with the kids. Now I go alone or with my buddy whose wife also does not enjoy going. Last year his wife joined us, and I felt very awkward. There are plenty of widows and divorced women there. Not so many single men.

She thinks it is good for me to go to services, since I seem to enjoy them. It simply isn't her cup of tea. She doesn't know the words or the melodies, and she is not interested in learning. So I go alone.

Re: Have to do this in real life for first time [Re: holdingontoit] #340791
03/19/14 03:52 PM
03/19/14 03:52 PM
T
Telly Offline
Telly  Offline
T
I suspect that you send strong messages that say "I am fine. I don't need anyone. Just leave me be."

I'm sure you know that. I'm also sure you don't WANT to send those messages, but by now you are so good at it, it's a habit.

I wonder what would happen if you brought something to one of those meetings... some baked goods or dessert or something. It would give you an excuse to walk around and offer them to people.

Remember when you were in that race and you wore high heels for a cause? You were in something of a "role", and it gave you a reason to go outside yourself.

Bringing goodies can be a way to break the ice while playing a role...

Just an idea.

Married 13 years
D10
D5
Re: Have to do this in real life for first time [Re: Telly] #340824
03/19/14 06:18 PM
03/19/14 06:18 PM
holdingontoit Offline OP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
See Telly, that is why we get along so well. I did that. For a while I regularly brought snacks to the Board meetings. Everyone liked it. But it wasn't enough to get me over the hump of making a connection to anyone in particular.

Now that I am off the Board, I wonder if they miss the snacks? I might have to drop in at the next meeting (they are open to all members, you just don't get a vote), and see how they are doing. Not to try to make a connection. Just curious.

Oh, and about the aura. I think it works the other way. Mrs. Hold likes to project the "I am fine, leave me alone" aura. Everyone tells her their life story within 5 minutes of meeting her.

I try to project the "I am a puppy, please come pat me" aura. Creeps people out and no one wants to talk to me. I have to learn how to project the "I am fine" aura. The "I am wounded, please help me" aura is not working.

Re: Have to do this in real life for first time [Re: holdingontoit] #340840
03/19/14 07:13 PM
03/19/14 07:13 PM
poet Offline
poet  Offline
Hold,

What new church?

About that "I'm fine" aura. This is how you do it. You hold your head up (seriously) and you straighten your back. And, you never, never, never, never NEVER look down at the ground when you're walking. If you walk past people, look at them, look at their eyes and nod your head when you pass them. If they don't look at you, or if they glaze past your eyes, forget about it and just keep walking. Someone will notice!

ETA: True story:

When I was a kid, my mother always always told me to walk, sit stand with my back straight. I don't know why I listened, I never listened to anything else. But, she constantly repeated it, and I guess that's how I got it. She would tell me that my posture was very important. I think I probably saw a slumped over woman one day, and she said that's what I would look like if I slumped. It got me to always be aware of how I sat. I can still remember correcting my posture while sitting at me desk.

Last edited by poet; 03/19/14 07:17 PM.

I thank God for all the times he saved my life, for putting all the people in my path who helped save it, and all the other people I met along the way.
Re: Have to do this in real life for first time [Re: poet] #340908
03/20/14 02:52 AM
03/20/14 02:52 AM
holdingontoit Offline OP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Sorry poet, you said you left your old church so I figured you joined a new one. My bad for assuming.

OK, walk with head up. Got it.

Re: Have to do this in real life for first time [Re: holdingontoit] #340930
03/20/14 04:14 AM
03/20/14 04:14 AM
poet Offline
poet  Offline
Oh, I just now realized this. Your back hurts from so much slumping. Do you slump Hold? Just roll back your shoulders, and keep 'em that way.

Re: Have to do this in real life for first time [Re: poet] #341439
03/24/14 03:16 PM
03/24/14 03:16 PM
holdingontoit Offline OP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Thanks poet. I will work on my posture.

As for my co-worker, I told her to stop meeting his needs and to allow his AP to meet them (or more likely to refuse or to fail).

She said it had an impact. Within a few days of her refusing to meet his ENs, he asked if they could work toward reconciling. I told her to be strong and insist on NC forever. We will see how it goes, but first signs are positive.

Re: Have to do this in real life for first time [Re: holdingontoit] #341449
03/24/14 03:44 PM
03/24/14 03:44 PM
midwest
Miranda Offline
Global Moderator
Miranda  Offline
Global Moderator
midwest
Originally Posted By: holdingontoit

As for my co-worker, I told her to stop meeting his needs and to allow his AP to meet them (or more likely to refuse or to fail).

She said it had an impact. Within a few days of her refusing to meet his ENs, he asked if they could work toward reconciling. I told her to be strong and insist on NC forever. We will see how it goes, but first signs are positive.

thumbsup

When we open to this moment and don't judge it or try to change it, even when we're suffering and wish it were otherwise, we tap into the spaciousness of mind that allows us to move forward skillfully, with discernment and joy. -- Sharon Salzberg
Re: Have to do this in real life for first time [Re: holdingontoit] #341450
03/24/14 04:03 PM
03/24/14 04:03 PM
E
EarningIt Offline
EarningIt  Offline
E
Originally Posted By: holdingontoit

Oh, and about the aura. I think it works the other way. Mrs. Hold likes to project the "I am fine, leave me alone" aura. Everyone tells her their life story within 5 minutes of meeting her.

I try to project the "I am a puppy, please come pat me" aura. Creeps people out and no one wants to talk to me. I have to learn how to project the "I am fine" aura. The "I am wounded, please help me" aura is not working.

This is a VERY true insight. It has occurred in my life too many times to discount.

Remember to hope.

Re: Have to do this in real life for first time [Re: EarningIt] #341452
03/24/14 04:08 PM
03/24/14 04:08 PM
midwest
Miranda Offline
Global Moderator
Miranda  Offline
Global Moderator
midwest
So THIS is why everyone tells me all their problems!!! Jeez, I coulda had a V-8..

When we open to this moment and don't judge it or try to change it, even when we're suffering and wish it were otherwise, we tap into the spaciousness of mind that allows us to move forward skillfully, with discernment and joy. -- Sharon Salzberg
Re: Have to do this in real life for first time [Re: Miranda] #341460
03/24/14 05:01 PM
03/24/14 05:01 PM
poet Offline
poet  Offline
Hold, I just read your last post to me.

WOW, wow wow~

I'm impressed!

You should rename this thread, "Kudos to Mr. Hold."

smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fiddler 

Newest Members
Love_Smacked, starfire, JoyfulMimi, bruers, shattered72
2048 Registered Users
Latest Topics(Posts)
Hearts Blessing4
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’3
63 Marriage Facts1
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Updates Divorce Stats4
no more rainbow members?9
BR - The Art of War - Sun Tzu5
Questions & Answers About Marriage---responses from 7-10 year old kids4
seeing new members on mobile version5
Return of the Goddess31
Community Information
2048Members
1Penalty Box
6Suspended