Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 10 guests, and 36 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
 Trending Topics(Posts)
1.How to deconstruct a marriage.0
2.I am Sick, I am Sad, and I am needing some support.0
3.SIHW is back and Dealing with issues....0
4.looking for some support0
5.Social Networking Sites and Infidelity0
6.Signs of Infidelity0
7.The Difference Between Cheating and Infidelity?0
8.Not really sure how to survive0
9.The Five Big Lies That Keep You From Changing0
10.Pregnant and getting put out of the house by my husband0
*By replies in last 2 weeks.
In The Media(Posts)
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’3
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Does anyone remember this story?3
Validation to find-win-win slutions2
Things men want3
These Are The Signs You're Dating A Narcissist3
Girlfriend's 'controlling' list of 22 rules for boyfriend goes viral: 'She sounds crazy'9
What Divorced Men Wish They Had Done Differently In Their Marriages7
Alienation of Affection / Criminal Conversation9
Would you pay your ex a 'break-up fee'? - BBC3
more >>
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Dating without expectations [Re: believer] #241496
06/20/12 01:41 AM
06/20/12 01:41 AM
DFW, TX
TACticGAL Offline OP
TACticGAL  Offline OP
DFW, TX
Believer - someone should tell Mr. Michael that "fast" isn't always a good thing. wink

Let me not be so vain to think I'm the sole author of my victories and and a victim of my defeats. -- ze frank
Re: Dating without expectations [Re: TACticGAL] #241497
06/20/12 01:55 AM
06/20/12 01:55 AM
B
believer Offline
believer  Offline
B
Eeek! Whoa, TAC!!!!!!!

"I feel sad that I focused so much on his potential and so little on mine."
Re: Dating without expectations [Re: believer] #241505
06/20/12 03:02 AM
06/20/12 03:02 AM
DFW, TX
TACticGAL Offline OP
TACticGAL  Offline OP
DFW, TX
Originally Posted By: believer
Eeek! Whoa, TAC!!!!!!!

What?!? angelhorns Just sayin'. wink

Let me not be so vain to think I'm the sole author of my victories and and a victim of my defeats. -- ze frank
Re: Dating without expectations [Re: TACticGAL] #241715
06/20/12 11:01 PM
06/20/12 11:01 PM
B
believer Offline
believer  Offline
B
Well, my FWB is off to a not so glorious start.

Nick sent me this message last night after he left -

"Jun 19, 2012 11:23pm The truth is, if you would disappear one day, a piece of me will be empty for rest of my life, like a "dead man walking":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeKeN6B11bY

sooo, please do keep the stereo close for as long as possible, you know, 'cause sounds don't travel through empty spaces

:)"

Re: Dating without expectations [Re: believer] #241718
06/20/12 11:27 PM
06/20/12 11:27 PM
DFW, TX
TACticGAL Offline OP
TACticGAL  Offline OP
DFW, TX

"Jun 19, 2012 11:23pm The truth is, if you would disappear one day, a piece of me will be empty for rest of my life, like a "dead man walking":

sooo, please do keep the stereo close for as long as possible, you know, 'cause sounds don't travel through empty spaces

Wow. No chance he's just into the music? eek

Re: Dating without expectations [Re: Amazin] #241719
06/20/12 11:36 PM
06/20/12 11:36 PM
The Desert
Desert Rose Offline
Desert Rose  Offline
The Desert
Originally Posted By: Amazin
But gay or not, Amazin, that would be my FWB guy. He's very appealing, somehow.

Oh... OK... we're talking fatasy guy. Gotcha... wink

I'd post a video of my "Dream" FWB girl... but for some reason that girl is always nekked in my dreams and it would probably be a violation of the TOS to post the video. ROFL

On another note... TAC, I got a friend in the DFW area that sounds just like your dream guy. Tall, in excellent physical shape, real good looking (And I'm not even gay) financially stable, about 45 years old, divorced with 3 grown sons and available.

Click to reveal..
Unfortunately he just got another job and he's moving close to Desert Rose. Kind of an anti-sex-climatic ending huh.... ROFL

*ears perk up*

~*~Desert Rose~*~

Love it a verb, not a noun. It is an action we take, not a feeling that changes over time.
Re: Dating without expectations [Re: TACticGAL] #241720
06/20/12 11:48 PM
06/20/12 11:48 PM
B
believer Offline
believer  Offline
B
Originally Posted By: TACticGAL

Wow. No chance he's just into the music? eek

Ha TAC! We are both into music.

No, I had mentioned to him that I hoped the FWB thing wouldn't ruin our friendship, and to let me know if he wanted to date someone, and not just disappear.

Re: Dating without expectations [Re: believer] #241802
06/21/12 04:20 AM
06/21/12 04:20 AM
DFW, TX
TACticGAL Offline OP
TACticGAL  Offline OP
DFW, TX
Ha TAC! We are both into music.

No, I had mentioned to him that I hoped the FWB thing wouldn't ruin our friendship, and to let me know if he wanted to date someone, and not just disappear.

Eeek. Methinks he doesn't grasp the concept.

Re: Dating without expectations [Re: TACticGAL] #241900
06/21/12 05:01 PM
06/21/12 05:01 PM
DFW, TX
TACticGAL Offline OP
TACticGAL  Offline OP
DFW, TX
Well, this weekend is with Munchkin. I think I'm going to reserve seating for Saturday's showing of Brave at the Movie Grill.

Next weekend Scot has invited me to his birthday party, and I suspect that there'll be more conversation about where this is (and is not) going. smile

Re: Dating without expectations [Re: TACticGAL] #242403
06/22/12 07:56 PM
06/22/12 07:56 PM
A
AtTheEnd? Offline
AtTheEnd?  Offline
A
I couldn't imagine a guy would turn down an agreement such as this one if he had the slightest attraction to the woman, but I also couldn't imagine one of the two parties developing strong feelings for the other. This could turn out messy.

Re: Dating without expectations [Re: AtTheEnd?] #242409
06/22/12 08:15 PM
06/22/12 08:15 PM
DFW, TX
TACticGAL Offline OP
TACticGAL  Offline OP
DFW, TX
Originally Posted By: AtTheEnd?
I couldn't imagine a guy would turn down an agreement such as this one if he had the slightest attraction to the woman, but I also couldn't imagine one of the two parties developing strong feelings for the other. This could turn out messy.

*Life* is messy. smile

Re: Dating without expectations [Re: Desert Rose] #242412
06/22/12 08:23 PM
06/22/12 08:23 PM
A
Amazin Offline
Amazin  Offline
A
Originally Posted By: Desert Rose
Originally Posted By: Amazin
But gay or not, Amazin, that would be my FWB guy. He's very appealing, somehow.

Oh... OK... we're talking fatasy guy. Gotcha... wink

I'd post a video of my "Dream" FWB girl... but for some reason that girl is always nekked in my dreams and it would probably be a violation of the TOS to post the video. ROFL

On another note... TAC, I got a friend in the DFW area that sounds just like your dream guy. Tall, in excellent physical shape, real good looking (And I'm not even gay) financially stable, about 45 years old, divorced with 3 grown sons and available.

Click to reveal..
Unfortunately he just got another job and he's moving close to Desert Rose. Kind of an anti-sex-climatic ending huh.... ROFL

*ears perk up*

Ha ha! I thought that might make your ears perk up...

But....my buddy isn't going to be that close. Flagstaff, AZ. He's actually driving out there now. He just posted on FB that he's in Amarillo. I told him to stop and get a free 72oz steak.

http://www.bigtexan.com/

Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men.
Re: Dating without expectations [Re: Amazin] #242413
06/22/12 08:36 PM
06/22/12 08:36 PM
A
AtTheEnd? Offline
AtTheEnd?  Offline
A
TAC,

Very true about life being messy, but there is a difference between walking into something unknowingly and doing something that you know is already potentially harmful.

Re: Dating without expectations [Re: Amazin] #242416
06/22/12 08:55 PM
DFW, TX
TACticGAL Offline OP
TACticGAL  Offline OP
DFW, TX
I was giving this some more thought today, and in addition to expectations, I think assumptions are a huge relationship killer. The interplay between expectations and assumptions can of course be argued, they may be one in the same.

And I've been guilty of this a LOT over the years in my relationships.

With Scot, we have to discuss and agree on lots of little details which I would probably have relied on assumptions if this were a "typical" romantic relationship:

* how often to contact between "dates" - daily, weekly, or just to set up the next get-together
* what kinds of contact is appreciated between "dates" - phone calls, IM, text, FB, email
* what the exact parameters for the exclusivity or non-exclusivity are
* how often we want to see each other
* what kind of notice we need from each other for a get-together

There's a certain sense for me of needing to protect the friendship from misunderstandings that in retrospect has been lacking in romantic liaisons.

For instance: Once a guy has asked me out for a second date, I generally assume that we will be communicating in some fashion a couple of times a week. I'm not big on phone calls, but I like IM/txt and email and don't think twice about reaching out. That's apparently smothered some of my potentials. I assume once we've dated a few times (3 or more) that there's an interest and that we'll be getting together pretty much every weekend when we're not otherwise obligated. I tend to "clear the deck" so that I'm available when I expect that we'll be getting together. I tend to assume that he's available for me equally. Once we've been intimate, I generally would assume that we'd be at least sexually exclusive.

I've tried to approach dating differently this time around, especially since I don't feel a rush to get remarried or anything like that. When I started out on the dating thing I thought that perhaps the end goal would be some form of LTR, but not necessarily heading for "moving in" or marriage. I've been clear with my dates that I have no such expectations. There have been times I've wondered if I'm acting "too casual". But I've been really working to avoid being clingy or feeling attached to someone before there's actually an attachment. So far it hasn't worked, and I honestly don't know if it's me, or I've just been finding flaky guys.

Just more rambling on a sleepy Friday afternoon. grin

Re: Dating without expectations [Re: AtTheEnd?] #242417
DFW, TX
TACticGAL Offline OP
TACticGAL  Offline OP
DFW, TX
Originally Posted By: AtTheEnd?
TAC,

Very true about life being messy, but there is a difference between walking into something unknowingly and doing something that you know is already potentially harmful.

I'm curious. What do you find so inherently harmful about my situation?

Re: Dating without expectations [Re: TACticGAL] #242425
06/22/12 10:47 PM
06/22/12 10:47 PM
B
believer Offline
believer  Offline
B

With Scot, we have to discuss and agree on lots of little details which I would probably have relied on assumptions if this were a "typical" romantic relationship:

* how often to contact between "dates" - daily, weekly, or just to set up the next get-together
* what kinds of contact is appreciated between "dates" - phone calls, IM, text, FB, email
* what the exact parameters for the exclusivity or non-exclusivity are
* how often we want to see each other
* what kind of notice we need from each other for a get-together

Good point, TAC.

Re: Dating without expectations [Re: believer] #242611
06/24/12 04:48 PM
06/24/12 04:48 PM
West Texas
T
twom7 Offline
twom7  Offline
T
West Texas
This is a good thread that I have been following...
Catperson asked me to watch some of the Tough Love episodes, so for chits and grims I watched some...
The Tough Love series allows you to look at some of the ways men and women think and view dating in general...
Steve Ward is the host and he always gets into touchy topics like deal breakers, sex, who buys on a dinner date, and new age texting and how much texting is too much, and how much info can be learned about you from your facebook page, and many other topics...
So, let's explore some of these topics because it helps all of us to see how men and women think...
What are your dealbreakers:
Some of mine are...uses drugs, smokes, excessive alcohol, has had affairs, someone who is not height and weight prop...
I cannot deal with someone who still lives with Mom unless there is good reason...
I also do not like women that do not understand or care about the value of money...i.e. a woman that only wants to date you because you can buy her expensive things...I prefer a woman that is more practical and logical...
These are a few of mine, but lets hear what yours are...
Thanks...

Re: Dating without expectations [Re: twom7] #242693
06/25/12 04:13 AM
06/25/12 04:13 AM
DFW, TX
TACticGAL Offline OP
TACticGAL  Offline OP
DFW, TX
twom7 - I thought we had the dealbreakers discussion on the other thread.

In keeping with the idea of this thread, let me stream some consciousness on the subject.

My dealbreakers for a romantic relationship are different than for friendship. I think we develop our list of dealbreakers in reaction to the pains we suffer in our personal relationships. I mean some things like drug use or financial responsibility are certainly important, but I'm wondering why the requirements for relationships are different than those for friendship.

I also like to look at things from a positive perspective than a negative. So instead of talking about "dealbreakers" I like to talk about things that need to be present - requirements if you will.

So my list of requirements for a romantic relationship up until I started thinking about this included: religious liberal, social liberal, fiscally responsible, HAS A JOB, tall, honest, caring, good communicator, certain things in common.

Whereas my requirements for friendship are: honesty and respect. Everything that's really important to me for a solid friendship boils down to those two. Be honest with me, and treat me with respect. I do the same.

when I'm really honest about it, I realize that all my relationships, both friendships and romantic, that have fallen apart, did so when the other person was not honest with me and/or did not treat me with respect, and I let it continue.

Re: Dating without expectations [Re: TACticGAL] #243104
06/27/12 03:59 AM
06/27/12 03:59 AM
pookie69 Offline
pookie69  Offline
So my list of requirements for a romantic relationship up until I started thinking about this included: religious liberal, social liberal, fiscally responsible, HAS A JOB, tall, honest, caring, good communicator, certain things in common.

Whereas my requirements for friendship are: honesty and respect. Everything that's really important to me for a solid friendship boils down to those two. Be honest with me, and treat me with respect. I do the same.

You will rearrange all of that when you are ready and not buying a car.

"A desire presupposes the possibility of action to achieve it; action presupposes a goal which is worth achieving." - Ayn Rand
Re: Dating without expectations [Re: pookie69] #243207
06/27/12 02:57 PM
06/27/12 02:57 PM
DFW, TX
TACticGAL Offline OP
TACticGAL  Offline OP
DFW, TX
Originally Posted By: pookie69
You will rearrange all of that when you are ready and not buying a car.

More than likely. But comparing the two is giving me a lot of insight.

I think I have had in the past such a long checklist for a guy, that I find someone who meets some of them and really think in my head that either no one can meet all of them, or that if someone could they wouldn't want *me*, so I start compromising on them, and end up compromising on ones that are really meaningful - like honesty and respect.

Re: Dating without expectations [Re: TACticGAL] #244789
07/03/12 04:46 PM
07/03/12 04:46 PM
DFW, TX
TACticGAL Offline OP
TACticGAL  Offline OP
DFW, TX
Well it turns out Scot isn't as available as he'd indicated.

However another fantastic friend has expressed an interest. I'll call him Hawk. We're going to hang out this weekend while Munchkin is with her Dad.

And I think I'm just going to take down my OKC profile. I changed my "interests" to indicate I wasn't looking for a LTR, and I have been deluged with propositions from guys 1/2 my age. I don't even want to KNOW what kind of male thought processes are involved in this. wink

Re: Dating without expectations [Re: TACticGAL] #245212
07/05/12 05:00 PM
07/05/12 05:00 PM
DFW, TX
TACticGAL Offline OP
TACticGAL  Offline OP
DFW, TX
Here's an interesting little article that kinda relates to the subject.

http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/...lust-study-says

Quote:
Now a new study has found that the same regions of the brain that control love also control sex -- indicating that sexual desire can actually morph into love. That's right. If a woman has sex with a man, he might not only buy the cow but love the cow, as well.

Now, this is a good thing if one is doing the whole "no commitment" thing as a diversionary tactic.

What does it mean if you're serious about the "no commitment" thing?

Re: Dating without expectations [Re: TACticGAL] #247097
07/15/12 04:34 AM
07/15/12 04:34 AM
B
believer Offline
believer  Offline
B
Another song from Nick -

Re: Dating without expectations [Re: believer] #251552
08/11/12 04:06 AM
08/11/12 04:06 AM
for to fade Offline
for to fade  Offline

Last edited by Tinkerbell; 08/11/12 04:09 AM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Newest Members
Love_Smacked, starfire, JoyfulMimi, bruers, shattered72
2048 Registered Users
Latest Topics(Posts)
Hearts Blessing4
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’3
63 Marriage Facts1
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Updates Divorce Stats4
no more rainbow members?9
BR - The Art of War - Sun Tzu5
Questions & Answers About Marriage---responses from 7-10 year old kids4
seeing new members on mobile version5
Return of the Goddess31
Community Information
2048Members
1Penalty Box
6Suspended