Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 8 guests, and 38 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
 Trending Topics(Posts)
1.Ask Amy's very bad advice on affairs2
2.The Joke Thread2
3.Things men want1
4.Hearts Blessing1
5.Financial counselor says communication is key when mixing money and marriage - Grand Forks Herald0
6.Daughter says father made ominous threats if his wife sought a divorce - Portland Press Herald0
7.A Straight Spouse Of A Gay Husband Speaks Out0
8.Rise Above Past Relationship Failures - Psychology Today0
9.Toxic Relationship dynamics0
10.Women Who Don't Orgasm - Psychology Today0
*By replies in last 2 weeks.
In The Media(Posts)
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’3
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Does anyone remember this story?3
Validation to find-win-win slutions2
Things men want4
These Are The Signs You're Dating A Narcissist3
Girlfriend's 'controlling' list of 22 rules for boyfriend goes viral: 'She sounds crazy'9
What Divorced Men Wish They Had Done Differently In Their Marriages7
Alienation of Affection / Criminal Conversation9
Would you pay your ex a 'break-up fee'? - BBC3
more >>
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 25 1 2 3 4 24 25
Re: Pot Lucks, Cookouts and Picnics... [Re: Mark1952] #754
09/02/10 09:52 PM
09/02/10 09:52 PM
2long Offline
2long  Offline
Originally Posted by Mark1952

Beer...Usually a local brand, snobs who drink micro brews only usually are fans of the other team anyway.

I'm not a sports fan myself. I used 2 pride myself in how long I could manage 2 NOT KNOW who was playing in the Rose Bowl. I've been known 2 make it more than a week after the game, and it's only 4 miles from my house!

But beer? I don't drink much at all anymore - isn't good for me. But when I do, it's got 2 be a REAL microbrew (Like Stone), not Sam Adams or some such phony microbrew. And I never touch the fizzy yellow beers/horse piss!

-ol' 2long

Re: Pot Lucks, Cookouts and Picnics... [Re: 2long] #763
09/02/10 10:22 PM
09/02/10 10:22 PM
Medc Offline
Suspended
Medc  Offline
Suspended
Originally Posted by 2long

Beer...Usually a local brand, snobs who drink micro brews only usually are fans of the other team anyway.

And I never touch the fizzy yellow beers/horse piss!

-ol' 2long

lol

Don't go shaking the [Bleep!] tree and expect an angel to fall out.

Liars lie and cheaters cheat...know it and don't be surprised. Protect yourself.

Re: Pot Lucks, Cookouts and Picnics... [Re: Medc] #778
09/03/10 01:29 AM
09/03/10 01:29 AM
B
believer Offline
believer  Offline
B
Miso Marinated Panko Fish

Ingredients:

1 - 2 lbs of white flaky fish
3 tablespoon white miso paste
2 table spoon soy sauce
2 cloves finely chopped garlic
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon sushi seasoning sauce or water/vinegar/sugar mix
2 tablespoons oil
panko

Mix miso paste, soy sauce, garlic, sugar, sushi seasoning and oil together forming a thin paste.
Take Fish and score each side. Take miso paste mix and rub all over fish incorporating it into the scoring and body cavity.
Take marinated fish and roll in panko until fish is fully covered with panko. May take several coatings. Fry in a pan with oil until brown and crispy on the outside. The marinade and panko will keep the fish moist on the inside.

"I feel sad that I focused so much on his potential and so little on mine."
Re: Pot Lucks, Cookouts and Picnics... [Re: Ace] #797
09/03/10 03:12 AM
09/03/10 03:12 AM
L
Lifechoice Offline
Lifechoice  Offline
L
I'm getting ready to go on Vacation...for real, but thought I'd drive by to say "Hi" on my way. Maybe I'll have my lap-top on vacation. If so, I'll chat then.

Well, well, well, look who made it here. So glad to see you here, Ace! Hope you have a nice trip.

We are on a last minute vacation before DD14 goes back to school next week.

LC

Re: Pot Lucks, Cookouts and Picnics... [Re: Lifechoice] #799
09/03/10 03:43 AM
09/03/10 03:43 AM
Ace Offline
Advocate
Ace  Offline
Advocate
Originally Posted by Lifechoice
Well, well, well, look who made it here. So glad to see you here, Ace! Hope you have a nice trip.

We are on a last minute vacation before DD14 goes back to school next week.
LC

Hi LC,

It's good to see you here, too. Sounds like this site was good timing for you. Can't belive your youngest is now 14....you and Docp will have an empty next in no time.

Believer,

Thanks for the fish recipe....sounds yummy and I'm glad you're here, too. I've encouraged Mark to start a Fishing thread (or move the other one) here. I appreciated your stories over there.

Hope all have a great weekend.

Ace

We're overcoming decades of marital dysfunction including abuse, passive aggression, gas-lighting & infidelity (both of us).

Our Weird and Ongoing Story
Re: Pot Lucks, Cookouts and Picnics... [Re: Mark1952] #814
09/03/10 01:13 PM
09/03/10 01:13 PM
Ace Offline
Advocate
Ace  Offline
Advocate
The old "Vacation Thread" seems to have gone the way of the dodo and since so many are arriving here, I thought a new thread to take a break and discuss just about anything not related to marriage problems and infidelity might be in order.

If you don't like the subject, change it to whatever you like and say what's on your mind. New stuff, old stuff, serious stuff or silly stuff, the choice is up to you what goes on this thread.

This could be silly or serious but thanks for giving us a thread designed to be TJ'd, Mark. To keep from TJing the Welcome thread, I'm cutting/pasting parts of a discussion that started over there here...hope that's OK (if it's not, sorry) wink

Originally Posted by right here waiting
It's great to see so many other prolific posters showing up too. Gonna be some GOOD discussions.

Delighted that Mark is going to link his best stuff...I remember being blown away by his fishing thread a couple of years ago.
Hope others will link theirs too.

Originally Posted by Ace
I'm with RHW, Mark. I'd love to see you transfer/link the Fishing Thread you started there on MB over here to MA. I look forward to seeing your other masterpieces here, too.

I emphasized the above line because it confirmed what I knew was true. Mark's Fishing Thread has enough nuggats to be made into a mini booklet on marriage and relationships that I and many others would probably buy.

I even suggested a name...something like "Fishing for a Tight-Line Marriage"....when all relationship aspects (especially communication) lines are tight (as in Open, Honest and Intimate) a whopper of a Marriage is attracted and 'caught'.

ETA: When boundaries are loose and sloppy like a limp fishing line, nothing is caught and the big prizes (successful R and M) become elusive.

If Mark can't (or doesn't want to but will allow someone else to create a mini booklet of Fishing/Marriage analogies), does anyone know any professional writers/editors who might create such a gem?

Originally Posted by catperson
Hi Ace. I'm a writer. *waves*

Hi Catperson,

If this discussion topic is too serious for this thread and we get kicked off, I'll PM you to get your email addy, OK?

I'd love to hear about your professional writing career if you're so inclined to share either here or via PM/email.

Thanks,
Ace

We're overcoming decades of marital dysfunction including abuse, passive aggression, gas-lighting & infidelity (both of us).

Re: Pot Lucks, Cookouts and Picnics... [Re: Ace] #837
09/03/10 03:48 PM
09/03/10 03:48 PM
SoCal
Chrysalis Offline
Global Moderator
Chrysalis  Offline
Global Moderator
SoCal
Vacation! We are headed to the bay area today to attend the Highland Games in Pleasanton. We try to go every year, and have a few old friends there from our early married days. My sister is thinking about coming for a day, too. So I will not be reading/posting much.

Have a great holiday everyone!

Chrysalis
Re: Pot Lucks, Cookouts and Picnics... [Re: Chrysalis] #845
09/03/10 04:06 PM
09/03/10 04:06 PM
catperson Offline
catperson  Offline
Hi Ace. I got a Media Studies degree in 91, which trained me in all forms of communications (film, photography, video, writing, desktop publishing - such as it was in the Dark Ages), but I concentrated in writing. My favorite class was scriptwriting - I'd love to be a writer for films; I've written a few.

I've also turned someone's play into a novella, turned another story into a film script, things like that, as side jobs. As side work, I've also edited a whole slew of medical texts, movie reviews, editorials, stuff like that. My current assignment has me writing online short articles for various websites - 100 to 1000 words.

Professionally, I worked as a writer/editor at NASA for 11 years (my dream job and I wish every day I was back there), but I mainly just edited the technical documents they have to publish on all the research they do - a LOT! I also did the desktop publishing of them, formatting, and bringing in graphics, all the way through to printing them and mailing them out. Really cool job. I've done everything there from create kids' coloring books to help edit a medical textbook.

Left that job to work somewhere that paid real money and did marketing writing for Administaff in their 401k division, where I wrote a website, tons of marketing collateral like brochures, ads, flyers, emails. HATED that place, so I came to Baker Hughes, for the last 4 years or so. Started as marketing writer, where I'd write brochures, magazine articles, ads, flyers, press releases, stuff like that. After a huge reorg, I'm now in their technical publications group, back to my roots, where I edit technical papers.

Re: Pot Lucks, Cookouts and Picnics... [Re: catperson] #868
09/03/10 05:47 PM
09/03/10 05:47 PM
SW Chicago 'burbs
Mark1952 Online OP
Board of Directors
Mark1952  Online OP
Board of Directors
SW Chicago 'burbs
Is it time to eat yet?

Good Afternoon Vacationers...

The brain is this marvelous thing that can do all these multiple processes simultaneously by using its ability to assign various subroutines to certain parts of the brain as if handing it off to a coprocessor and when the solution is found, it can be implemented directly by the part of the brain that controls that function required to accomplish the task at hand without involving the main cognitive functions of our reason and logic parts of the brain.

It's a wonderful system that computers now emulate with coprocessors for math functions and video generation and background overhead of the entire system. It can get a little dicey when a processor makes a decision that needs modification by the CPU and just executes the command without considering of the consequences.

So this morning as we got ready for work, we had a situation that is not typical of most days. Because I had an early meeting we were getting ready to go out the door at the same time instead of the usual hour between her departure and mine. I wandered through the bedroom and my oversize tee shirt I was wearing at the time caught on something as I passed her dresser and I felt it move, caught a glimpse of something shiny headed for the floor and my various parts of my brain sprang into action to compute a solution.

My amygdala responded first and after the visions of the horror that could result from breaking something she might place value on computed a solution and implemented it before my cognitive functions of the cortex had time to identify what was falling and I caught it and had it back on the dresser before I even knew what it was.

It was her curling iron.

It was HOT!

So now I have these blisters on the inside of my index and middle fingers, right at the first knuckle and another one of larger size on the pad of my thumb. These are the exact locations required to hold a pen or pencil, tie my shoes, fasten my belt, button my shirt, eat my lunch...

You get the idea.

And that nice hot shower I was so craving at the moment of my insanity when I let my amygdala write a check my cortex couldn't cash without identifying what I was paying first resulted in pain the likes of which I have not experienced in many moons...

OUCH!

Just goes to show the trouble we get into when we allow ourselves to react before thinking things through and making an informed decision and acting from logic and reason...

Carry on...

mark1952.ma@gmail.com

I Was Thinking...

The secret to having a good marriage is to understand that marriage must be total, it must be permanent, and it must be equal.-- Frank Pittman
Re: Pot Lucks, Cookouts and Picnics... [Re: Mark1952] #870
09/03/10 05:51 PM
09/03/10 05:51 PM
Florida
Gladstone Offline
Board of Directors
Secretary
Gladstone  Offline
Board of Directors
Secretary
Florida
Yowza!

On the other hand, one must look out for over-analyzing and procrastinating on a decision, as I am prone to do. If it HAD been a breakable valuable, by the time you'd analyzed the situation, it would have been too late to affect it. smile

**Formerly known as Cuthbert Calculus**

"There is enough sadness in life without having fellows like Gussie Fink-Nottle going about in sea boots."

Glad Tidings

Gladstone's Sucess Story
Re: Pot Lucks, Cookouts and Picnics... [Re: Gladstone] #871
09/03/10 06:01 PM
09/03/10 06:01 PM
SW Chicago 'burbs
Mark1952 Online OP
Board of Directors
Mark1952  Online OP
Board of Directors
SW Chicago 'burbs
We have this sign over the bench in our shop that says:

Always hold
soldering iron
by the blue end.

I would have been alright if I'd grabbed the black part instead of the shiny part... :cry:

mark1952.ma@gmail.com

I Was Thinking...

The secret to having a good marriage is to understand that marriage must be total, it must be permanent, and it must be equal.-- Frank Pittman
Re: Pot Lucks, Cookouts and Picnics... [Re: Mark1952] #876
09/03/10 06:12 PM
09/03/10 06:12 PM
SW Chicago 'burbs
Mark1952 Online OP
Board of Directors
Mark1952  Online OP
Board of Directors
SW Chicago 'burbs
2L,

Have you ever tried any of these?

Goose Island Brewery

Their Bourbon County and Bourbon County Coffee are anything but pale yellow. They also have a black Belgian style ale with pepper corns called Pep Nero that is really different.

There Harvest Ale is pretty good, too.

Can you tell I'm not a tailgater?

At least not since I traded my Mustang for a pickup.

mark1952.ma@gmail.com

I Was Thinking...

Re: Pot Lucks, Cookouts and Picnics... [Re: Mark1952] #895
09/03/10 06:55 PM
09/03/10 06:55 PM
Looking4 Offline
Looking4  Offline
You lost me at "...coprocessor", Mark, but I caught back up at the "OUCH!" Hope that heals before you want to pick up a fishing pole. I have no idea when fishing season is out there. Or even here, for that matter. I figure when H says he's headed out to get his license, it must be near.

I hope you or Ace can find a way to get the fishing thread over here on MA. And your "Musings From Mark", too. That one is phenomenal and one I still refer to on occasion as I see something new with each read.

Catperson, I'm impressed with folks who can speak tech, and especially those who can write tech. I hope you're still pursuing your other writing passions.

Have fun at the games, Chrys. I enjoy Highland games myself. And with good friends, that sounds like a nice weekend.

It'll be 80-degrees here today, then rain showers and 63-degrees for the entire holiday weekend. We have a swim party tomorrow then folks coming over to BBQ for the Huskies v. BYU game at night. We might be moving things indoors.

I better get the lawn mowed before things get wet.

Be safe, East Coasters. Have a fantastic weekend everyone and... GO DAWGS!

Re: Pot Lucks, Cookouts and Picnics... [Re: Looking4] #907
09/03/10 07:51 PM
09/03/10 07:51 PM
Not quite here
Squeaky Tree Offline
Squeaky Tree  Offline
Not quite here
Originally Posted by Mark
And that nice hot shower I was so craving at the moment of my insanity when I let my amygdala write a check my cortex couldn't cash without identifying what I was paying first resulted in pain the likes of which I have not experienced in many moons...

OUCH!

Sorry.... but [Linked Image]

When did you study biological psychology Mark?

Actually maybe I should restart my studies. Both kiddos at school as of yesterday.

L4, please pop over and do my lawn while it's still light there, I ran out of time today.

Married 22years (this year) ~13y since dday(?)
DD17 DS14
Which way do you like yourself? ~ Stosny
Re: Pot Lucks, Cookouts and Picnics... [Re: Squeaky Tree] #911
09/03/10 08:08 PM
09/03/10 08:08 PM
SW Chicago 'burbs
Mark1952 Online OP
Board of Directors
Mark1952  Online OP
Board of Directors
SW Chicago 'burbs
Originally Posted by ST
When did you study biological psychology Mark?

It's becoming a hobby of mine.

mark1952.ma@gmail.com

I Was Thinking...

Re: Pot Lucks, Cookouts and Picnics... [Re: Mark1952] #915
09/03/10 08:22 PM
09/03/10 08:22 PM
Not quite here
Squeaky Tree Offline
Squeaky Tree  Offline
Not quite here
My favourite subject - I got a distinction ya know!

DD17 DS14
Re: Pot Lucks, Cookouts and Picnics... [Re: Squeaky Tree] #924
09/03/10 09:39 PM
09/03/10 09:39 PM
Not quite here
Squeaky Tree Offline
Squeaky Tree  Offline
Not quite here
Didn't think I'd sleep having made 13 posts here, so I thought I'd add one more.

Night Night!

DD17 DS14
Re: Pot Lucks, Cookouts and Picnics... [Re: Squeaky Tree] #928
09/03/10 10:09 PM
09/03/10 10:09 PM
SW Chicago 'burbs
Mark1952 Online OP
Board of Directors
Mark1952  Online OP
Board of Directors
SW Chicago 'burbs
Ah, so you're Triskaidekaphobic then...

mark1952.ma@gmail.com

I Was Thinking...

Re: Pot Lucks, Cookouts and Picnics... [Re: Mark1952] #1096
09/05/10 03:16 PM
09/05/10 03:16 PM
Ace Offline
Advocate
Ace  Offline
Advocate
Share you lunch.
Share your life.
Share your friends.

Share your friend's lunch if you'd like.

Just be sure you share...

I'll be watching to see what you have to share.

OK I'll share my lunch....actually it was more like "linner" or "dunch" since the smoked pig wasn't taken off the spit until around 4 PM. But boy was it good and the applewood smokiness was juuuuust right!

So is anyone else on vacation this Labor Day weekend beside Chrysalis and me?

Ace

Re: Pot Lucks, Cookouts and Picnics... [Re: catperson] #1098
09/05/10 03:31 PM
09/05/10 03:31 PM
Ace Offline
Advocate
Ace  Offline
Advocate
Originally Posted by catperson
Hi Ace. I got a Media Studies degree in 91, which trained me in all forms of communications (film, photography, video, writing, desktop publishing - such as it was in the Dark Ages), but I concentrated in writing. My favorite class was scriptwriting - I'd love to be a writer for films; I've written a few.

I've also turned someone's play into a novella, turned another story into a film script, things like that, as side jobs. As side work, I've also edited a whole slew of medical texts, movie reviews, editorials, stuff like that. My current assignment has me writing online short articles for various websites - 100 to 1000 words.

Professionally, I worked as a writer/editor at NASA for 11 years (my dream job and I wish every day I was back there), but I mainly just edited the technical documents they have to publish on all the research they do - a LOT! I also did the desktop publishing of them, formatting, and bringing in graphics, all the way through to printing them and mailing them out. Really cool job. I've done everything there from create kids' coloring books to help edit a medical textbook.

Left that job to work somewhere that paid real money and did marketing writing for Administaff in their 401k division, where I wrote a website, tons of marketing collateral like brochures, ads, flyers, emails. HATED that place, so I came to Baker Hughes, for the last 4 years or so. Started as marketing writer, where I'd write brochures, magazine articles, ads, flyers, press releases, stuff like that. After a huge reorg, I'm now in their technical publications group, back to my roots, where I edit technical papers.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and skills, CP. I will reply more later. In fact, you've inspired me to start my own blog and c/p my first attempt at a screen-play (of my life pre-A) for your critique.

Ace

Re: Pot Lucks, Cookouts and Picnics... [Re: Ace] #1106
09/05/10 04:51 PM
09/05/10 04:51 PM
NewEveryDay Offline
Advocate
NewEveryDay  Offline
Advocate
Yes, Ace, I'm off for Labor Day, too smile We went to the pool yesterday, and bowling today. OH inspired me, I want to fit the beach in, too!

"I have everything I need." and "I am exactly where I am supposed to be." ~Louise Hays
Re: Pot Lucks, Cookouts and Picnics... [Re: NewEveryDay] #1149
09/05/10 11:19 PM
09/05/10 11:19 PM
New Zealand
Lil Offline

Lil  Offline

New Zealand
Funny Mark smile

I just did a paper on instintive response and how little control we have over them. Like pulling your hand off a hot element well before realising that it is hot. Guess that 'avoid hot stuff' bit isnt quite working for you, OR your instinct to not have an upset wife is much stronger...

Oh yeah, I have stolen your 'I love my job chant'. Everytime the colostrum mob comes into the shed I chant "I love these cows". Now the others are doing it too.

Father day yesterday in NZ. Made Flick, oops DD14 MADE Flick french toast (with only minimal help from me. I cracked the eggs, added the milk and cut the bread. Flipped bread over when the the side was done and plated it, but DD14 made it really)

Rang my dad who was going out 4 wheel driving.Then took Flick out for dinner. All fathers I am responsible for have been sufficiently day'ed now.

AKA Lildoggie

Just found out about your spouses affair?
Infidelity Guide For The Betrayed Spouse

Re: Pot Lucks, Cookouts and Picnics... [Re: Lil] #1211
09/06/10 03:35 PM
09/06/10 03:35 PM
Not quite here
Squeaky Tree Offline
Squeaky Tree  Offline
Not quite here
I love my job ....but.... clearing out the PE store???

We want to do football tennis rugby and hockey this term, can you see what we have?

So me and 5x 10 year olds (the ones that didn't go on the residenetial trip this week)

8 tennis balls
9 tennis rackets

(me thinks they won't be doing class tennis)

33 hockey balls, no sticks...hmmmmm

12 rugby balls which we managed to get air into another 12 flat ones oh and the tags for tag rugby 8 blue, 7 red 4 yellow and 33 green - I think that will be an uneven contest.

and we put air in 22 footballs

Think we need some new kit!!!!

I am exhausted.

DD17 DS14
Re: Pot Lucks, Cookouts and Picnics... [Re: Squeaky Tree] #1277
09/07/10 01:17 AM
09/07/10 01:17 AM
New Zealand
Lil Offline

Lil  Offline

New Zealand
I love my jobzzzzzzz

apart from the bit where they interfere with my sleep

AKA Lildoggie

Just found out about your spouses affair?
Infidelity Guide For The Betrayed Spouse

Re: Pot Lucks, Cookouts and Picnics... [Re: Lil] #1470
09/08/10 04:24 AM
09/08/10 04:24 AM
Looking4 Offline
Looking4  Offline
Hey, ST... Ever consider teaching the kids charades?

Mark, that moving eye in your first post freaks me out every time I click on this thread. It gives me the heebees.

Married 19 years
Two children - DS12 & DD10
Page 2 of 25 1 2 3 4 24 25

Moderated by  Fiddler 

Newest Members
Love_Smacked, starfire, JoyfulMimi, bruers, shattered72
2048 Registered Users
Latest Topics(Posts)
Hearts Blessing5
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’3
63 Marriage Facts1
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Updates Divorce Stats4
no more rainbow members?9
BR - The Art of War - Sun Tzu5
Questions & Answers About Marriage---responses from 7-10 year old kids4
seeing new members on mobile version5
Return of the Goddess31
Community Information
2048Members
1Penalty Box
6Suspended