Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 3 guests, and 36 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
 Trending Topics(Posts)
1.Ask Amy's very bad advice on affairs2
2.The Joke Thread2
3.Things men want1
4.Hearts Blessing1
5.Financial counselor says communication is key when mixing money and marriage - Grand Forks Herald0
6.Daughter says father made ominous threats if his wife sought a divorce - Portland Press Herald0
7.A Straight Spouse Of A Gay Husband Speaks Out0
8.Rise Above Past Relationship Failures - Psychology Today0
9.Toxic Relationship dynamics0
10.Women Who Don't Orgasm - Psychology Today0
*By replies in last 2 weeks.
In The Media(Posts)
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’3
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Does anyone remember this story?3
Validation to find-win-win slutions2
Things men want4
These Are The Signs You're Dating A Narcissist3
Girlfriend's 'controlling' list of 22 rules for boyfriend goes viral: 'She sounds crazy'9
What Divorced Men Wish They Had Done Differently In Their Marriages7
Alienation of Affection / Criminal Conversation9
Would you pay your ex a 'break-up fee'? - BBC3
more >>
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: OurHouse] #12435
10/21/10 12:09 AM
10/21/10 12:09 AM
Surface of the sun
silentlucidity Offline
silentlucidity  Offline
Surface of the sun
Started out on MB as tempinsanity, which seems obvious to me. When entering Plan B, the song "Silent Lucidity" by Queensryche popped into my head, and I liked it, so I stole it.

SFB, I was just gonna ask you what your acronym meant. I thought Sh!t for brains and Son oF a B!tch. You chose well smirk

Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: OurHouse] #12454
10/21/10 01:51 AM
10/21/10 01:51 AM
Pacific Northwest
QueeniesAdventures Offline
QueeniesAdventures  Offline
Pacific Northwest
When I came to MB I was skinsgal for everything. My online orders, my devotion to the football team, EVERYTHING. After time and much hard work it became apparent that I was no longer skinsgal at all, but a creation from G-d waiting for that right moment in time when he would call on me for his next adventure.

I thought immediately of Queen Esther and since I didn't want to disrespect her, Mimi and a few others liked the name when I used Queenie once.

My life has become and an adventure, alas QueeniesAdventures

Married 1-1-84 - D-day 5/14/07 - Recovery 8/1/09
I came here as skinsgal and became Queenie because G-d had plans for me, plans to prosper me.

Word(s) of the Week: Improving Communication In Marriage
Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: QueeniesAdventures] #12464
10/21/10 02:37 AM
10/21/10 02:37 AM
S
Saynomore Offline
Saynomore  Offline
S
About six weeks after D-Day my DH called me into the living room and asked me to sit down while he put an old Humble Pie album on the turntable. He told me that this song said all the things that he was not able to say.

Say No More

Well it felt so sad to be
Where I didn't need to be
Now I feel so good to know
How you still care for me
When it's alright in front of you
It's so hard to see
But there was a wall about you
Though it took me awhile just
To suss it out
And what I laid down
At my shout didn't help me none
'Cause you held me soul in your hands
It sifted through your fingers
Like fine silver sand
Well I don't need a swimming pool
I don't need records on the wall
I just want you Babe
And that's all
I'll say no more
I laid all my cards on the table
I can give you what you need
Now I'm able to
Now I tell you how I feel
I hope you come thru
'Cause if you're the sea
Then I'm your rock
And if I'm a key
Then you're my lock
Well if you're a foot
Then I'm your sock
So wear me well
Oh! Don't go away all alone
Don't leave me here Babe
With just this 1-way telephone
Without you I ain't no big shot
Even now looks like I hit the jackpot
I just need you Babe
That's my long shot
I can sing no more

We sat and held each other and cried for a long time. It was the first time that I realized that he "got it>" When I registered on my first ever forum (this is my second)Saynomore was the first thing that I thought of.

God's Blessings,

Say

Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: Saynomore] #12469
10/21/10 03:03 AM
10/21/10 03:03 AM
Ohio
Chailover Offline
Chailover  Offline
Ohio
When I first went to MB, I was knitgirl. I used to own a yarn store and thought that maybe the name was too obvious and that I might be too easy to find if Xwh should stumble across the forum.

I changed it to chailover because I love chai!!! A good cup of chai is one of my fav things. I eat lunch a couple of times each week with a group of former co-workers who love Indian food. We usually sit for a long time chatting over a couple of cups of masala chai.

Divorced 12/09
ex BW
Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: Chailover] #12489
10/21/10 04:37 AM
10/21/10 04:37 AM
star*fish Offline
Board of Directors
star*fish  Offline
Board of Directors
intruder...I love the story behind your name. smile

"Yes, I'll have the love combo, open faced with a side of respect and large a glass of forgiveness, easy on the ice please--my brother
Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: star*fish] #12508
10/21/10 07:26 AM
10/21/10 07:26 AM
New Zealand
Lil Offline

Lil  Offline

New Zealand
When I first went to MB I used my 'normal' online user name. Flick found me, I had to hide fast and happened to be in town while thinking of one. Heard a song about lildoggies, and figured that since I am a cow girl, and I hate country music, he would be unlikely to find me again.

AKA Lildoggie

Just found out about your spouses affair?
Infidelity Guide For The Betrayed Spouse

Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: Lil] #12521
10/21/10 08:16 AM
10/21/10 08:16 AM
The Dark Side of the Moon
AntigoneRisen Offline
Board of Directors
AntigoneRisen  Offline
Board of Directors
I've always had a thing for Sophocles, even in high school. (For those who do not know: Antigone is a character a Greek Tragedy play of the same name - see link - in the Oedipus Trilogy by Sophocles.)

I used the name Takola around the web until I separated from my ex in late 2005. For protection and legal reasons, I needed to drop off of his radar. I stopped posting on known sites and changed my online alias.

For a while, I used the name Ismene (which I had used on the Meetup.com site previously). I liked Ismene. To me, she was the survivor. Antigone, for all her defiance, never did escape the web of patriarchal institution around her. She ultimately sacrificed herself to it (with specific references about doing it for the law of Zeus, also patriarchal). She reminds me of "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" by the Smashing Pumpkins, "Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage."

In early 2006, I was actually beginning to think that a balance of Ismene and Antigone (survivor and rebel) was more healthy. I was pondering this on my way to my therapist session when I stopped in the Starbucks near his office. As I was ordering my latte, I saw a CD by a band called "Antigone Rising". "YES!" went through my head.

I bought the CD (which was ok, but nothing life altering), and went to my therapist session. I talked about what I had been thinking. What I really need was "Antigone" to "Rise" within me.

Thus, I changed my net alias to AntigoneRising. Now, I'm done with the balance portion; therefore, I'm AntigoneRisen.

People ask me if it has to do with Sophocles or the band, and I say, "Yes." smile smile

Critical Thinking: The Other National Deficit

"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: kilted_thrower] #12522
10/21/10 08:21 AM
10/21/10 08:21 AM
AntigoneRisen Offline
Board of Directors
AntigoneRisen  Offline
Board of Directors
I throw stuff while wearing a kilt.

In the back of my head, I've been thinking of you as "Caber Tosser".

"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: Chailover] #12523
10/21/10 08:22 AM
10/21/10 08:22 AM
AntigoneRisen Offline
Board of Directors
AntigoneRisen  Offline
Board of Directors
I changed it to chailover because I love chai!!! A good cup of chai is one of my fav things. I eat lunch a couple of times each week with a group of former co-workers who love Indian food. We usually sit for a long time chatting over a couple of cups of masala chai.

My fiance makes chai all the time. I love chai. If you are ever in my area, you are welcome to come sit at my table for a mean cup of masala chai (North Indian style).

Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: Lil] #12528
10/21/10 09:02 AM
10/21/10 09:02 AM
Steadfast & Committed Offline
Man of few words
Steadfast & Committed  Offline
Man of few words
When I came to MB, it was 10 months after D day. My pro marriage MC helped me see how I was part of the problem that created a M where my W didn't feel loved.

Between my MC and MB tools, I started to change what I needed to change. The first month of that change my W said I was only doing it to get her back and she was afraid that once she was back I would revert back to "my old ways".

I told her that I was going to be "steadfast" in fighting for our M and "committed" to permanent changes that will make me a better husband.

And I am still, Steadfast & Committed. cool

[Linked Image]

Saving marriages, fighting infidelity, preventing divorce; that's what we do here!
Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: Steadfast & Committed] #12546
10/21/10 12:48 PM
10/21/10 12:48 PM
L
Lifechoice Offline
Lifechoice  Offline
L
This is a great thread and it's very interesting to see how/why people chose the names they did.

I belong to a few different message boards and I have a different username for each one to protect myself.

Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: AntigoneRisen] #12551
10/21/10 01:11 PM
10/21/10 01:11 PM
SW Chicago 'burbs
Mark1952 Offline
Board of Directors
Mark1952  Offline
Board of Directors
SW Chicago 'burbs
Originally Posted by AntigoneRisen
I throw stuff while wearing a kilt.

In the back of my head, I've been thinking of you as "Caber Tosser".
Maybe he's a hammer hurler...

mark1952.ma@gmail.com

I Was Thinking...

The secret to having a good marriage is to understand that marriage must be total, it must be permanent, and it must be equal.-- Frank Pittman
Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: Steadfast & Committed] #12554
10/21/10 01:19 PM
10/21/10 01:19 PM
Texas
Larry Offline
Larry  Offline
Texas

S&C

Loyalty is as loyalty does . . . grin

It's often the truth we hide from ourselves that causes the most damage in life.

My old email address no longer works.
Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: Larry] #12557
10/21/10 01:31 PM
10/21/10 01:31 PM
The Castle Aaaggghh...
herfuturesbright Offline
herfuturesbright  Offline
The Castle Aaaggghh...
I'm sorry Larry.......I still say you are named after a superhero cucumber.

Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: herfuturesbright] #12559
10/21/10 01:37 PM
10/21/10 01:37 PM
SW Chicago 'burbs
Mark1952 Offline
Board of Directors
Mark1952  Offline
Board of Directors
SW Chicago 'burbs
From what I understand, Larry was looking a little green for a while...

mark1952.ma@gmail.com

I Was Thinking...

The secret to having a good marriage is to understand that marriage must be total, it must be permanent, and it must be equal.-- Frank Pittman
Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: herfuturesbright] #12567
10/21/10 02:09 PM
10/21/10 02:09 PM
Ace Offline OP
Advocate
Ace  Offline OP
Advocate
Originally Posted by heremainsfaithful
I'm sorry Larry.......I still say you are named after a superhero cucumber.

LOL...I was watching Veggietales and that song "Larry Boy" came on. Made me smile. smile

Mark, you were first using the screen name BetrayedHub....or something like that, right?

Why did you change? scratch

We're overcoming decades of marital dysfunction including abuse, passive aggression, gas-lighting & infidelity (both of us).

Our Weird and Ongoing Story
Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: Ace] #12595
10/21/10 04:15 PM
10/21/10 04:15 PM
2long Offline
2long  Offline
2long has nothing 2 do with "endowments".

It's short for 2longhistory2quit, which was (and still is) my login name. But it seemed reasonable 2 shorten the display name, so I did.

It 2k me very little time and I put very little thought, really, in2 choosing that name. I signed up on SurvivingInfidelity with just "2long" but I've never posted. I'm also 2long on loveshack.org.

I killed ol' 2long off around December 2002, because I wanted 2 invite my W 2 MB and there was 2much WW bashing in my early post-dday threads (mostly by others posting 2 me, but I was also sometimes harsh). Obviously, I revived him a year or 2 later.

So, I created a new username. Initially, that was "t-zero", the title of a short story by the late Italo Calvino. T-zero was about a bushman, hunting alone in Africa. He hears a noise, and turns, arrow ready, 2 find a lion jumping through the air at him. For the remaining 30 or so pages of the story, the lion is in mid-air, and the hunter is going through probability calculations of what the outcome might be. The whole story is about probability. It ends with the lion still frozen in mid air and the bushmen about 2 launch the arrow.

After a few weeks, I think, I changed the screen name 2 "Qfwfq", an amusing character in a bunch of Italo Calvino stories, both in the book "Cosmicomics" as well as "T-zero", which had other stories in it in addition 2 the bushman story.

From: http://www.sciencefictionmuseum.com/stories/reviews/snop010.html

"Qfwfq seems to have always been, although he doesn't waste time speculating on this fact. It's simply true that whatever is mentioned he remembers, or can look up in his diary. For instance in one case, he's looking through his telescope, as he does nightly, and sees a sign hanging off a galaxy 100,000,000 light years away, "I saw you." He hastens to check his diary and finds out he had been doing something he'd wanted to hide and hoped was forgotten on exactly that day, two hundred million years ago. Throughout the chapter, he worries about what people on galaxies all over the universe think of him, and keeps scanning for signs, and speculating what each sign means about others' judgements of himself, and wondering how to respond. "What of it?" Or, "Did you see it all, or just a little bit?" "

My sigline on MB is still there, even though at one point new siglines were limited 2 a certain number of characters, and mine was longer than that. So, I never edited it. It's the last chorus of Peter Gabriel's "Solsbury Hill":

"When illusion spin her net
I'm never where I want to be
And liberty she pirouette
When I think that I am free
Watched by empty silhouettes
Who close their eyes but still can see
No one taught them etiquette
I will show another me
Today I don't need a replacement
I'll tell them what the smile on my face meant
My heart going boom boom boom
"Hey" I said "You can keep my things,
they've come to take me home."

I still post as Qfwfq on iloveulove.com from time 2 time, but most of the people I posted with there are now long gone. frown

-ol' 2long

Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: 2long] #12599
10/21/10 04:29 PM
10/21/10 04:29 PM
ToBeContinued Offline
ToBeContinued  Offline
Originally Posted by 2long

My sigline on MB is still there, even though at one point new siglines were limited 2 a certain number of characters, and mine was longer than that. So, I never edited it. It's the last chorus of Peter Gabriel's "Solsbury Hill":

"When illusion spin her net
I'm never where I want to be
And liberty she pirouette
When I think that I am free
Watched by empty silhouettes
Who close their eyes but still can see
No one taught them etiquette
I will show another me
Today I don't need a replacement
I'll tell them what the smile on my face meant
My heart going boom boom boom
"Hey" I said "You can keep my things,
they've come to take me home."

I'm a big Peter Gabriel fan. And that song is one of his best. I think it resonates with me because I think he wrote that about leaving 'Genesis' -- a super successful rock band. And how hard that was to break away, and whether he was doing the right thing.

Similar in a lot of ways to some of us around here -- trying to determine when it's time to break free and move on alone, and whether it's truly the "right thing".

TBC

Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: ToBeContinued] #12617
10/21/10 05:35 PM
10/21/10 05:35 PM
2long Offline
2long  Offline
We went and saw PG at the Hollywood Bowl in May. Great performer! And the kids love him, 2.

Only other band with a multi-generational following like that is the Moody Blues. I've been a fan of theirs since 1970. My kids don't mind them, but they're not as in2 their music as they are in2 PG's stuff. I think a lot of that is that the Moody Blues (I won't use "MB" for obvious reasons!) have "ma2red" from their somewhat hippie roots, and their lyrics have along with them. As a result, some of the "magic" or spiri2alism that was in some of the early stuff is less present in the newer stuff. That, and Mike Pinder 2k a lot of that with him when he left the band 30 or so years ago. And now Ray Thomas is retired (2 spend time with his family!).

Back when my mom was still around and had season tickets 2 Irvine Meadows (forget what the orchestra was called), she offered my W and I discount tickets when the Moodies were performing with the orchestra there. I said "sure" and we went. We had 2 drop off our nieces and nephew on the way, so we got there just about a half hour before the concert. When I walked up 2 the ticket booth with our coupons, the teller asked me "do you want good seats?" Of course I said "sure!" We were in about the 10th row, off 2 one side of center, and right at stage height. Bar none, that was the best arranged concert I've ever been 2. Ever. You could hear every musician equally and distinctly - nobody was 2 loud or 2 soft or otherwise drowned out. They did a lot of their old stuff, but ran the gamut up through what was new at the time.

I saw them again at the Greek, without the orchestra. My W and daughter went along. There were a couple of "girls" (40-somethings) behind us who were high on something and couldn't stop chattering throughout the entire concert. Even when I 2rned around in my seat - and I'm a big guy - and yelled "SHUT UP OR GET LOST!" (and I never do that!).

I'm rambling!

-ol' 2long

Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: 2long] #12621
10/21/10 05:39 PM
10/21/10 05:39 PM
The Castle Aaaggghh...
herfuturesbright Offline
herfuturesbright  Offline
The Castle Aaaggghh...
2long, you should have done THIS:

Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: herfuturesbright] #12623
10/21/10 05:46 PM
10/21/10 05:46 PM
O
OurHouse Offline
OurHouse  Offline
O
I saw the Moody Blues in concert a loooooooong time ago!

And I think there have to be more bands than just those two with multi-general following.

Even the disc jockeys at the HS dances still end with "Stairway to Heaven".

Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: OurHouse] #12628
10/21/10 06:03 PM
10/21/10 06:03 PM
ToBeContinued Offline
ToBeContinued  Offline
2Long,

Irvine Meadows is a great place to watch a show. I love the outdoor atmosphere. The traffic can be a bear, but going early kind of solves that problem......

Last time I was there, I was with Mrs. TBC -- she bought really great seats for her and I to see Annie Lennox and Sting. It was a birthday present. Two or three years ago.

Moody Blues definitely had some serious staying power. My middle brother was big into the Moody Blues. 'Nights in White Satin' and all that stuff....

As OH points out, lots of bands with some major longevity. Too many to T/J on this thread.....

TBC

Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: ToBeContinued] #12631
10/21/10 06:07 PM
10/21/10 06:07 PM
Florida
Gladstone Offline
Board of Directors
Secretary
Gladstone  Offline
Board of Directors
Secretary
Florida
In high school, I was big into the Moody Blues, bought a bunch of their albums. I was in high school in the early 80s, and the LPs I bought were from the 60s and early 70s. I went a long time without hearing them and about 6 months ago I converted them into MP3s and added the songs to my iPod. Turns out they are every bit as good as I remembered...

**Formerly known as Cuthbert Calculus**

"There is enough sadness in life without having fellows like Gussie Fink-Nottle going about in sea boots."

Glad Tidings

Gladstone's Sucess Story
Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: Gladstone] #12642
10/21/10 06:35 PM
10/21/10 06:35 PM
2long Offline
2long  Offline
Continuing the OT/TJ:

Some of the spinoff stuff is very good, 2. Justin Hayward and John Lodge did a "solo" album with the London Symphony Orchestra in 1975 called "Blue Jays".

One of the last songs on the album is ac2ally a great, healthy way 2 deal with thoughts about long lost loves - old gfs, in particular - especially in view of our modern methods of "reconnecting" with said old flames via classmates.com and facebook:

"Who are you now?" - Justin Hawyard and John Lodge

"Who are you now
First love of mine?
If you could see
You'd reach out for me.
In hallways
And in secret doorways,
Were love's hiding places
With nowhere to go.
Goodbye
To the fields and byways.
I remember saying
I don't want to leave.
'Cos you were all there was to know
About me.

Somewhere
On this crazy island,
A familiar stranger
Sleeps so far away.
Wonder in the eyes of children
And the smile of fortune
Helps the memory fade.
'Cos they are all there is to know
About me.

Who are you now?"

-ol' 2long

Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: Gladstone] #12643
10/21/10 06:38 PM
10/21/10 06:38 PM
2long Offline
2long  Offline
WHOAH!

22bbllee ppoosstt!!

That ain't happened 2 me in a LONG time!

-ol' 2long

Last edited by 2long; 10/21/10 06:41 PM.
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Fiddler 

Newest Members
Love_Smacked, starfire, JoyfulMimi, bruers, shattered72
2048 Registered Users
Latest Topics(Posts)
Hearts Blessing5
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’3
63 Marriage Facts1
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Updates Divorce Stats4
no more rainbow members?9
BR - The Art of War - Sun Tzu5
Questions & Answers About Marriage---responses from 7-10 year old kids4
seeing new members on mobile version5
Return of the Goddess31
Community Information
2048Members
1Penalty Box
6Suspended