Originally Posted by Kayla
I was watching "Touched By An Angel" decades ago, when I first heard about "Pascal's Wager". Someone made a Youtube clip of that part of the episode.

Pascal's wager is basically saying it's better to worship a god because the downside, an eternity in hell, and the upside, heaven, is worth the bother even if it's not true. At it's core it's saying "What if you're wrong?"

First of all there's an assumption that despite the fact people generally follow the religion they're born into (in the US, probably Christian, in the near East probably muslim, in India probably Hindu etc.) that their particular flavour of god is the correct one and they will indeed reap the benefits. All the other billions of people in the world are wrong and will burn in hell (whether thats a moral position at all is also questionable.) So out of the 30000 sects of even Christianity, you're betting you're in the right one. Thats not a good bet. A better bet would be to find the least objectionable Hell with the best Heaven and worship that god. Better percentage!

Not to mention belief isn't a choice - I don't choose to be an atheist, I have come to my beliefs through lack of any evidence of existence of a diety. But Pascal's Wager says if I pretend to believe, I'm good. Pretty easy to fool your god eh?

For more in-depth analysis see: http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php?title=Pascal%27s_wager

To see what your choices are even with just Christianity see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations

My favorite religious joke:

I was walking across a bridge one day, when I saw a man standing on the edge, about to leap to his death.
I immediately ran over and said "Stop! Don't do it!"
"Why shouldn't I?" he asked.
I said, "Well ... because, um ... there's so much to live for!"
"Like what?
"Well ... are you Christian or atheist?"
"Christian," he said.
"Me, too!" I said. "Protestant or Catholic?"
"Neither," he said.
"What then?" I asked.
"Undenominational," he said.
"Me, too!" I said. "Undenominational Christian Church or Undenominational Church of Christ?"
"Undenominational Church of Christ," he said.
"Me, too!" I said. "Multiple Cup Undenominational Church of Christ or One Cup Undenominational Church of Christ?"
"Multiple Cup, Undenominational Church of Christ," he said.
"Me, too!" I said. "Bible Class, Multiple Cup, Undenominational Church of Christ or Non-Bible Class, Multiple Cup, Undenominational Church of Christ?"
"Bible Class, Multiple Cup Undenominational Church of Christ," he said.
"Me, too!" I said. "Premillennial, Bible Class, Multiple Cup Undenominational Church of Christ or A-millennial, Bible Class, Multiple Cup, Undenominational Church of Christ?"
"A-millennial, Bible Class, Multiple Cup, Undenominational Church of Christ," he said.
"Me, too!" I said. "Non Institutional, A-millennial, Bible Class, Multiple Cup, Undenominational Church of Christ or Institutional, A-millennial, Bible Class, Multiple Cup, Undenominational Church of Christ?"
"Institutional, A-millennial, Bible Class, Multiple Cup, Undenominational Church of Christ," he said.
"Me, too!" I said. "Direct Indwelling of the Holy Spirit, Institutional, A-millennial, Bible Class, Multiple Cup, Undenominational Church of Christ or Holy Spirit Dwells only through the Word, Institutional, A-millennial, Bible Class, Multiple Cup, Undenominational Church of Christ?"
"Direct Indwelling of the Holy Spirit, Institutional, A-millennial, Bible Class, Multiple Cup, Undenominational Church of Christ," he said.
"Me, too!" I said. "Praise Teams in Worship, Direct Indwelling of the Holy Spirit, Institutional, A-millennial, Bible Class, Multiple Cup, Undenominational Church of Christ or No Praise Teams in Worship, Direct Indwelling of the Holy Spirit, Institutional, A-millennial, Bible Class, Multiple Cup, Undenominational Church of Christ?"
"Praise Teams in Worship, Direct Indwelling of the Holy Spirit, Institutional, A-millennial, Bible Class, Multiple Cup, Undenominational Church of Christ," he said.
"Me, too!" I said. "Praise Teams Standing before the Congregation, Direct Indwelling of the Holy Spirit, Institutional, A-millennial, Bible Class, Multiple Cup, Undenominational Church of Christ or Praise Teams seated in the front pew, Direct Indwelling of the Holy Spirit, Institutional, A-millennial, Bible Class, Multiple Cup, Undenominational Church of Christ?"
"Praise Teams Standing before the congregation, Direct Indwelling of the Holy Spirit, Institutional, A-millennial, Bible Class, Multiple Cup, Undenominational Church of Christ" he said.
"Me too!" I said. "Singing during the Lord’s Supper, Praise Teams Standing before the Congregation, Direct Indwelling of the Holy Spirit, Institutional, A-millennial, Bible Class, Multiple Cup, Undenominational Church of Christ or No Singing during the Lord’s Supper, Praise Teams Standing before the Congregation, Direct Indwelling of the Holy Spirit, Institutional, A-millennial, Bible Class, Multiple Cup, Undenominational Church of Christ or No Singing during the Lord’s Supper, Praise Teams Standing before the Congregation, Direct Indwelling of the Holy Spirit, Institutional, A-millennial, Bible Class, Multiple Cup, Undenominational Church of Christ or No Singing during the Lord’s Supper, Praise Teams Standing before the Congregation, Direct indwelling of the Holy Spirit, Institutional, A-millennial, Bible Class, Multiple Cup, Undenominational Church of Christ?"
"Singing During the Lord’s Supper, Praise Teams Standing before the Congregation, Direct Indwelling of the Holy Spirit, Institutional, A-millennial, Bible Class, Multiple Cup, Undenominational Church of Christ or No Singing during the Lord’s Supper, Praise Teams Standing before the congregation, Direct Indwelling of the Holy Spirit, Institutional, A-millennial, Bible Class, Multiple Cup, Undenominational Church of Christ," he said.
"Arrrgghh!!! You heretic!!!" I screamed, then pushed him over the edge, confident that he would end up where he belonged, in hell.

Mg

M:1990 DD:July2017 In Recovery DS16 DS14
O wad some Power the giftie gie us To see oursels as ithers see us! -- Robert Burns
If you're going through hell, keep going. -- Winston Churchill