Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 4 guests, and 31 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Nonprofit Donations
2019 Campaign Meter
ProgressGoal
$200.00 
$2000
Paypal Donation to MA
 Trending Topics(Posts)
1.**Get Mad or Sad -> Grab Food! How to Change Emotional Eating**13
2.Am I still a doormat?8
3.Staying Together2
4.***spACE cadet gazette***1
5.Daughter says father made ominous threats if his wife sought a divorce - Portland Press Herald0
6.A Straight Spouse Of A Gay Husband Speaks Out0
7.Rise Above Past Relationship Failures - Psychology Today0
8.Toxic Relationship dynamics0
9.Ask Amy's very bad advice on affairs0
10.Women Who Don't Orgasm - Psychology Today0
*By replies in last 2 weeks.
In The Media(Posts)
Does anyone remember this story?3
Validation to find-win-win slutions2
Things men want3
These Are The Signs You're Dating A Narcissist3
Girlfriend's 'controlling' list of 22 rules for boyfriend goes viral: 'She sounds crazy'9
What Divorced Men Wish They Had Done Differently In Their Marriages7
Alienation of Affection / Criminal Conversation9
Would you pay your ex a 'break-up fee'? - BBC3
Delaware is now first US state to fully ban child marriage - CBS3
Nashville mayor resigns after affair, pleads guilty to theft2
more >>
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"HAMILTON, the Musical" - Marriage Musings from Broadway's hit show #414127
09/24/16 08:40 PM
09/24/16 08:40 PM
Ace Offline OP
Advocate
Ace  Offline OP
Advocate
Have you seen any of the many "Hamilton, The Musical" YouTube clips, heard the Soundtrack album, read the books (by Jeremy McCarter and Lin Manuel Miranda as well as the book that inspired the musical by Ron Chernow) or attended a live performance in NY, soon to open in Chicago?

I'm intrigued by our first Treasury Secretary Alexander Hamilton's amazing wife Eliza after she endured his infidelity---the nation's first sex scandal. Not only did he cheat and agree to extortion to buy the BH's silence but he wrote and published all the nasty details, unwittingly hoping to preserve his name by overwhelming his critics with honesty. It didn't even occur to him how devastating this might be to his wife and family.

Although she felt doubly betrayed by both the actions and subsequent self-exposure, Eliza eventually forgave him after their first-born son was killed in a duel to "protect his father's honor." She went on to accomplish incredible feats after her husband was killed in a duel by the sitting Vice-President (Aaron Burr), leaving her destitute and having to raise their remaining 7 kids on her own.

Eliza Hamilton's forgiveness, strength and perseverance for over 50 years as a widow are an inspiration to me. In fact, what our marriage has endured for 10 years after my husband's A seems so trivial in comparison.

We're overcoming decades of marital dysfunction including abuse, passive aggression, gas-lighting & infidelity (both of us).

Our Weird and Ongoing Story
Re: "HAMILTON, the Musical" - Marriage Musings from Broadway's hit show [Re: Ace] #414512
10/08/16 09:16 PM
10/08/16 09:16 PM
Ace Offline OP
Advocate
Ace  Offline OP
Advocate
I've done a little online searching for any articles shedding light on Eliza Hamilton's ability to forgive her husband's infidelity and subsequent written confession.

One of my google searches linked to a site for children focused on educating school kids on our Founding Fathers and the birth of our nation.

On that site was a link to an offer for a free audio book Hamilton-The Revolution by Jeremy McCarter and Lin-Manuel Miranda, which I have read----excellent project to go along with Ron Chernow's biography simply entitled Alexander Hamilton.

The free audio book site had a link to a marriage site with a discussion board that was mostly dormant----the last posts I saw were over 4 years old and most threads appeared to have less than 10 replies.

I'm so busy that I can't seriously start this project for a while but I thought I'd pose the challenge to our MA Nation anyway.

The Broadway musical Hamilton recently opened in Chicago and is beginning to develop a domestic and international schedule. The original 2015 production was nominated for 16 Tony awards, won 11, and has won many other awards, too.

I'd like to begin the discussion about the possibility of constructing an article about lessons we can all learn and use in our own marriages gleaned from Alexander and Eliza Hamilton's tumultuous and often controversial relationship.

Here are some of the intriguing topics we might explore.

1. Spouses from different cultures, social standings, financial backgrounds, and who speak different languages----the challenges and how they are able to overcome them.

2. Infidelity, extortion, self-confession (in writing for the world to see all the sordid details of the husband's cheating). How was the wife able to forgive? At the time they only had 2 children...eventually they reconcile and have 6 more.

3. Loss of a child who tried to defend his father's honor and was shot during a duel when only 19. How to cope and forgive the father who knew and encouraged the son to fight the right way----with honor. But neither of them appeared to know that the challenger would shoot prematurely, before the full count to 10.

4. The nation's 3rd Presidential election ends in a tie, requiring the delegates to vote. Even though Hamilton had been fired by the 2nd President, was out of government and had no more power, the delegates ask Hamilton who he would vote for. He supported Jefferson who subsequently won in a landslide. Because the process relegated the runner up to serve as 2nd in command, Burr became Vice-President and his hatred for his former friend grew. Because of that and other issues, Burr challenged Hamilton to a duel....in New Jersey where it was legal.

5. Burr kills Alexander Hamilton when he's only 49 and has 7 remaining children; the youngest is only 2. Eliza is left destitute and relies on family and friends to survive. There are few if any government social services because there is barely a government. Eventually she gets Alexander's previously-waived army pension so she's able to begin to thrive, not just survive.

6. Eliza commits herself to fulfilling as many of Alexander's dreams as she can. Her sister Angelica, who was rumored to have had a closer relationship to Alexander than merely BIL/SIL, helps her raise their children and pursue other projects.

In addition:

a. Eliza raises funds to build the Washington Monument, a tribute to their friend George Washington who stuck with them during their scandalous challenges.

b. Eliza creates the very first private orphanage in NY and helps to raise hundreds of orphans. The children remind her of Alexander being orphaned at the age of 12.

c. Eliza deciphers the many manuscripts and papers Alexander wrote and collaborates with any seeking help with the projects he founded: the first American bank, the nation's treasury system, and the U.S. Coast Guard (to stop smugglers and help oversee trade and taxation rules).

d. Eliza interviews as many soldiers as she can find who served with and for Alexander Hamilton. He had been George Washington's right-hand-man and scribe so there were many to discover. She tries to organize everything she learns to continue Alexander's legacy.

e. She speaks out against slavery, continuing Alexander's strong abolitionist views. It's curious to me that the Hamilton's were so close with the slave-owning Washington's.

Eliza Hamilton lives over 50 more years after her husband dies. Her time, commitment, efforts and subsequent accomplishments are awe-inspiring. This woman did not let infidelity define her. She "wrote herself back into the narrative" of her husband's tragedy-shortened life, seeking to fulfill the things he was unable to do.

I hope our marriage can continue to grow together so we can impact others in a positive way, every single day.

Thanks for reading. If anyone reads the books mentioned, listens to the musical score or sees the live production, I'd love to hear your input.

Ace

We're overcoming decades of marital dysfunction including abuse, passive aggression, gas-lighting & infidelity (both of us).

Re: "HAMILTON, the Musical" - Marriage Musings from Broadway's hit show [Re: Ace] #445012
07/03/20 03:29 AM
07/03/20 03:29 AM
Ace Offline OP
Advocate
Ace  Offline OP
Advocate
I wrote this nearly 4 years ago and decided to make some corrections to my statements.

Why now? The musical was filmed on Broadway in 2016, a year after it opened. Disney bought the rights and the production team has been editing it, preparing for a nationwide release in theaters in October, 2021.

Due to the world turmoil (global pandemic, economic downturn) and combined with the fact that show halls and theaters are shut down, the producers and Disney decided to release it early on its streaming platform Disney+ for the mere cost of a monthly subscription ---$6.99 + tax. They announced the early release in late spring.

When? TONIGHT! It drops at 12:01 AM, Friday, July 3, in time to commemorate our nation's Independence Day Celebrations. Since the announcement was made, the world has begun dealing with another major challenge involving racial injustice, an issue that was also prevalent in Colonial Days and during the Revolution.

If this thread develops into a discussion, I'm hoping it can focus on Alexander and Eliza Hamilton's accomplishments, their unlikely marriage and infidelity/forgiveness, and the positive aspects that their example can provide for us. (If it spawns political overtones, please take them to the Thunderdome.)

Whether or not a discussion develops, I still want to correct some things in the original post.

Originally Posted by Ace

4. The nation's 3rd Presidential election ends in a tie, requiring the delegates to vote. Even though Hamilton had been fired by the 2nd President, was out of government and had no more power, the delegates asked Hamilton who he would vote for. He supported Jefferson who subsequently won in a landslide. Because the process relegated the runner up to serve as 2nd in command, Burr became Vice-President and his hatred for his former friend grew. Because of that and other issues, Burr challenged Hamilton to a duel....in New Jersey where it was legal.

Duels were illegal in New Jersey, too, but they did not enforce the ban as often as they did in New York.

5. Burr kills Alexander Hamilton when he's only 49 and has 7 remaining children; the youngest is only 2.

Some historians believe Hamilton was born in 1755 and others think it was 1757. Most likely, based on more recent research, he was born in 1757, making him 47 when he was killed in 1804.

Eliza is left destitute and relies on family and friends to survive. There are few if any government social services because there is barely a government. Eventually she gets Alexander's previously-waived army pension so she's able to begin to thrive, not just survive.

6. Eliza commits herself to fulfilling as many of Alexander's dreams as she can. Her sister Angelica, who was rumored to have had a closer relationship to Alexander than merely BIL/SIL, helps her raise their children and pursue other projects.

In addition:

a. Eliza raises funds to build the Washington Monument, a tribute to their friend George Washington who stuck with them during their scandalous challenges.

b. Eliza creates the very first private orphanage in NY and helps to raise hundreds of orphans. The children remind her of Alexander being orphaned at the age of 12.

Alexander Hamilton was left parent-less at age 12 when his mother and he were both sick and she died while holding him in her arms. His father had abandoned the family and Alexander may have---or may not have---known where he was but technically, he wasn't an orphan.

c. Eliza deciphers the many manuscripts and papers Alexander wrote and collaborates with any seeking help with the projects he founded: the first American bank, the nation's treasury system, and the U.S. Coast Guard (to stop smugglers and help oversee trade and taxation rules).

d. Eliza interviews as many soldiers as she can find who served with and for Alexander Hamilton. He had been George Washington's right-hand-man and scribe so there were many to discover. She tries to organize everything she learns to continue Alexander's legacy.

e. She speaks out against slavery, continuing Alexander's strong abolitionist views. It's curious to me that the Hamilton's were so close with the slave-owning Washington's.

Eliza Hamilton lives over 50 more years after her husband dies. Her time, commitment, efforts and subsequent accomplishments are awe-inspiring. This woman did not let infidelity define her. She "wrote herself back into the narrative" of her husband's tragedy-shortened life, seeking to fulfill the things he was unable to do.

I hope our marriage can continue to grow together so we can impact others in a positive way, every single day.

Thanks for reading. If anyone reads the books mentioned, listens to the musical score or sees the live production, I'd love to hear your input.

Ace

I'd still be interested in hearing thoughts about this subject.

Thanks for reading and have a safe and sane 4th of July.

Ace

Re: "HAMILTON, the Musical" - Marriage Musings from Broadway's hit show [Re: Ace] #445034
07/07/20 04:30 PM
07/07/20 04:30 PM
L
LivingWell Offline
LivingWell  Offline
L
Hi Ace 😊

I saw Hamilton a couple days ago. I liked it but was not nearly as geeked about it as my daughter who saw it live on stage.

Imho, No Contact might have prevented the eventual infidelity. I’m not sure that Eliza was the person he most did not want to find out.

Re: "HAMILTON, the Musical" - Marriage Musings from Broadway's hit show [Re: LivingWell] #445040
07/07/20 05:12 PM
07/07/20 05:12 PM
Ace Offline OP
Advocate
Ace  Offline OP
Advocate
Originally Posted by LivingWell
Hi Ace 😊

I saw Hamilton a couple days ago. I liked it but was not nearly as geeked about it as my daughter who saw it live on stage.

Imho, No Contact might have prevented the eventual infidelity. I’m not sure that Eliza was the person he most did not want to find out.

I was just beginning to log off and I saw your reply. Thanks so much. I'm so glad you saw the Disney+ streaming version of Hamilton, the Musical.

How old was your DD when she saw the live production?

Re: "HAMILTON, the Musical" - Marriage Musings from Broadway's hit show [Re: Ace] #445042
07/07/20 05:24 PM
07/07/20 05:24 PM
L
LivingWell Offline
LivingWell  Offline
L
I think 36 but not sure.

Re: "HAMILTON, the Musical" - Marriage Musings from Broadway's hit show [Re: LivingWell] #445052
07/09/20 12:33 AM
07/09/20 12:33 AM
Ace Offline OP
Advocate
Ace  Offline OP
Advocate
Originally Posted by LivingWell
I think 36 but not sure.

That generation ---- and all ages, actually ---- but especially the 30 somethings seem to gravitate to the story. Possibly that's because the guy who wrote it is about the same age. He just turned 40 in January 2020 and includes many pop-culture events in his social media presence that may be nostalgic for them.

Or not. dunno

Moderated by  Chrysalis 

Newest Members
shattered72, Broken19, Amadhy, Farnell, 805bail
2044 Registered Users
Latest Topics(Posts)
Does anyone remember this story?3
COVID019: SBA loans for businesses, homeowners and renters6
How are you all doing?7
Combated Gaslighting11
Help! Hubby of 26 years having affair with former co-worker203
Article: My Husband Didn’t Come Home One Night1