Who's Online Now
2 registered members (NewEveryDay, 1 invisible), 7 guests, and 72 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Nonprofit Donations
2019 Campaign Meter
ProgressGoal
$200.00 
$2000
Paypal Donation to MA
 Trending Topics(Posts)
1.My Gratitude Journal29
2.Pulling up a chair12
3.Am I still a doormat?7
4.I'm learning to talk3
5.Learning about life from life........2
6.WuD? - Moving on.1
7.The Joke Thread1
8.Just updating... things do get better over time.1
9.How to deconstruct a marriage.0
10.I am Sick, I am Sad, and I am needing some support.0
*By replies in last 2 weeks.
In The Media(Posts)
Validation to find-win-win slutions2
Things men want3
These Are The Signs You're Dating A Narcissist3
Girlfriend's 'controlling' list of 22 rules for boyfriend goes viral: 'She sounds crazy'9
What Divorced Men Wish They Had Done Differently In Their Marriages7
Alienation of Affection / Criminal Conversation5
Would you pay your ex a 'break-up fee'? - BBC3
Delaware is now first US state to fully ban child marriage - CBS3
Nashville mayor resigns after affair, pleads guilty to theft2
7 Things Kids Need To Do For Themselves Before They Turn 13 - Healthyway1
more >>
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How Saying 'Ow' Helps You Tolerate Pain - Huff Post #375367
02/03/15 09:08 PM
02/03/15 09:08 PM
The Dark Side of the Moon
AntigoneRisen Offline OP
Board of Directors
AntigoneRisen  Offline OP
Board of Directors
The Dark Side of the Moon
Quote:
When you stub your toe or bang your head, why is the initial response always to yell "ouch" (or something less printable)? Scientists may have the answer.

New research from the National University of Singapore suggests that vocalizing may interfere with pain signals traveling to the brain, distracting you from the uncomfortable sensations you're feeling.

The researchers gathered 56 test participants and had each person submerge his or her hand into painfully cold water four separate times. In each case, participants were asked either to say "ow," to listen to a recording of a person saying "ow," to press a button or to remain passive and silent.

Both saying "ow" and pressing the button were found to have a positive effect on pain tolerance. When participants said "ow" or pushed a button, they were able to withstand the pain for an average of 30 seconds, compared to an average of 23 seconds among participants who did neither. Sitting passively, on the other hand, did not improve pain tolerance. Nor did hearing a recording of someone saying "ow," whether it was the participant's own voice or someone else's.

The findings suggest that making some kind of vocal utterance may be an effective way of coping with pain...

How Saying 'Ow' Helps You Tolerate Pain

Critical Thinking: The Other National Deficit

"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
Re: How Saying 'Ow' Helps You Tolerate Pain - Huff Post [Re: AntigoneRisen] #375399
02/04/15 07:41 AM
02/04/15 07:41 AM
right here waiting Offline
Board of Directors
President
right here waiting  Offline
Board of Directors
President
Quote:
The findings suggest that making some kind of vocal utterance may be an effective way of coping with pain.

Those same (unprintable) utterings can assuage frustration too. whistle

Re: How Saying 'Ow' Helps You Tolerate Pain - Huff Post [Re: right here waiting] #375412
02/04/15 01:51 PM
02/04/15 01:51 PM
midwest
Miranda Offline
Global Moderator
Miranda  Offline
Global Moderator
midwest
I've tried to explain to my husband that I say " $%$* &*%*?! " to keep from punching him in the face. He doesn't understand. lol

When we open to this moment and don't judge it or try to change it, even when we're suffering and wish it were otherwise, we tap into the spaciousness of mind that allows us to move forward skillfully, with discernment and joy. -- Sharon Salzberg
Re: How Saying 'Ow' Helps You Tolerate Pain - Huff Post [Re: Miranda] #375424
02/04/15 02:47 PM
02/04/15 02:47 PM
Carolina Blue Heaven
P
peppermint Offline
peppermint  Offline
P
Carolina Blue Heaven
Originally Posted By: Miranda
I've tried to explain to my husband that I say " $%$* &*%*?! " to keep from punching him in the face. He doesn't understand. lol

LOL

Miranda, you slay me!

I rarely curse, and I rarely want to punch my husband, but I will keep this in mind for the next time to see if it works!

Re: How Saying 'Ow' Helps You Tolerate Pain - Huff Post [Re: peppermint] #375432
02/04/15 03:22 PM
02/04/15 03:22 PM
midwest
Miranda Offline
Global Moderator
Miranda  Offline
Global Moderator
midwest
I curse like a go$%@% mo@&$#!f*+?<#% sailor! Always have. I went to work in a very busy restaurant kitchen when I was 15. Besides that I spent a LOT of time in auto parts stores, junkyards and auto garages a young woman. What did my parents THINK was going to happen? <shrug>

I can turn it off and on, I don't do it at work (in the office) but if I go out onto the shop floor, the guys love me, because I will let fly with them, and they know they don't have to watch themselves with me. Although when I do let fly, they laugh their @$$e$ off. It seems even more hysterical now, that I'm a little dumpy middle aged woman, then it did when I was a tiny petite young woman. Go figure.

When we open to this moment and don't judge it or try to change it, even when we're suffering and wish it were otherwise, we tap into the spaciousness of mind that allows us to move forward skillfully, with discernment and joy. -- Sharon Salzberg
Re: How Saying 'Ow' Helps You Tolerate Pain - Huff Post [Re: Miranda] #375458
02/04/15 05:44 PM
02/04/15 05:44 PM
Carolina Blue Heaven
P
peppermint Offline
peppermint  Offline
P
Carolina Blue Heaven
My father cursed like a sailor, but was quick to label any female who did so as a "floozy". I didn't really know what that was,but knew I didn't want to be one. Plus I just hated the atmosphere that surrounded his cursing. If I really get mad I might drop a word, but NEVER the f-bomb. I might hear my daddy calling me a floozy from his grave.....

Re: How Saying 'Ow' Helps You Tolerate Pain - Huff Post [Re: peppermint] #375466
02/04/15 06:19 PM
02/04/15 06:19 PM
midwest
Miranda Offline
Global Moderator
Miranda  Offline
Global Moderator
midwest
Both my parent hate that I do it. Still to this day. But I was a hardcore rebel so what they hated it as exactly what I was going to do. And then it became part of my makeup I guess. Working in kitchens and bars hanging out with the type of people I did.

Like I said, now I can turn it off when I need to. But the default setting from the factory is "on Mo#~#+=!"

Re: How Saying 'Ow' Helps You Tolerate Pain - Huff Post [Re: Miranda] #375478
02/04/15 07:44 PM
02/04/15 07:44 PM
holdingontoit Offline
Global Moderator
holdingontoit  Offline
Global Moderator
The other reason to train yourself to say "ow" is that it fills the space so you don't say something snarky to the person who hurt you.

Last night Mrs. Hold mentioned that she freaked out D20 by saying that since he has a November birthday, he was probably conceived on Valentine's Day. She meant for the statement to be a funny bonding incident for her and me. For me it was painful. If we had sex that year on Valentine's Day, it may well have been the only time we had sex on Valentine's Day, and that absence causes me huge pain.

Instead of saying "ow" and perhaps triggering a conversation that would help us bond, I said "oh, did we used to have sex on Valentine's Day back then?" Which was a huge "ow" for Mrs. Hold and spoiled the rest of our evening.

Solutions? There are none. There are decisions.

Moderated by  Fiddler 

Newest Members
Broken19, Amadhy, Farnell, 805bail, Marcin
2043 Registered Users
Latest Topics(Posts)
Just updating... things do get better over time.5
Validation to find-win-win slutions2
Affair World1
expired security certificate1
....micro-cheating is a thing in relationships, and here are the signs it's happening1
Warning MA Not Safe Message Keeps Popping Up4
Save Marriage After Exposure1
Save Marriage After Exposure223
Share and enjoy!1
Things men want3
Community Information
2043Members
1Penalty Box
6Suspended

Forums
8475Topics
461815Posts